43990773

History, 1838–1856, volume C-1 [2 November 1838–31 July 1842]

October 28 Cathedral was again destroyed by fire, which also involved the greater part of the Metropolis in ruins. It was — — — — — — rebuilt in 1099 — — — — — — — — — — — — — and — — — partly burned 1132 and — — — in 1135–6 it sustained considerable injury. It was fired by lightning in 1444 and repaired in 1462. In June 1561 the spire was again set on fire which destroyed spire and roof. Repairs were commenced by Queen Elizabeth and finished by Laud and King Charles the first, who expended £104,330 — — — — but immediately dissensions arose between the King and Parliament, the revenues of the Church were confiscated, the money and materials seized by the Parliament, and the whole body of the building was converted into stables and barracks for dragoons. It was again repaired in the reign of Charles the second, but it was not finished before it became a prey to the flames in the great fire of London 1666. — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — The — — — present — — — — — — — Cathedral was built under the direction of Sir Christopher Wren, the first stone was laid on the 21st. of June, 1674 and the highest stone of the pile was laid at the top of the lantern by Mr. Christopher Wren the son of the Architect in the year 1710, and the last finishing and adorning the Church was — — — — in 1715 by George the first; the whole expense of erecting this magnificent structure, was about £736,000 — — — — — — — — The — — — dimensions of the Cathedral — — — — — — — — — — — — — are from east to west 500 feet, the breadth — — — — — — — 285 feet, the height from the pavement in the street to the top of the cross over the dome 404 feet, two — — — — towers at the west end, are each 222 feet in height, the general height of the wall is about 90 feet; it was 40 years in building, and covers about two acres of ground. It contains 47 monuments of fine marble erected over the tombs of certain Dukes, Earls, Lords, Bishops, Generals, and others — — — , who had distinguished themselves in the — — — — — service of Great Britain and otherwise, Lord Nelson being the most noted— We walked through this church from the base to the ball, being about 400 feet high, from the upper gallery we — — — also had a view of the City, we passed through the whispering gallery, — — — — — — and though it was — — — — large yet a whisper could be distinctly heard and understood from the most remote part of it, and when the door shut the sound — — — penetrates the ear like peals of thunder. This is one of the largest Cathedrals in the world — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — On the 5th. of September we visited Westminster Abbey, which is composed of 11 Chapels, — — — — — — — — — — — — — viz. St. Benedicts, St. Edmund, St. Nicholas, Henry the Seventh, St. Paul, St. Edward the Confessor, St. Erasmus, Abbot Islip, St. John, St. Andrew, and St. Michael. These Chapels contain the bodies tombs and monuments of 13 kings, viz. Edward 1st., 3rd., 5th., 6th., Charles 2nd., Henry 3rd., 5th., 7th., James 1st., George 2nd., Richard 2nd., William 3rd., and Sebert King of the East Saxons, who first built this Church, and died near 616. Also 13 Queens, viz, Athelgoda Queen of Sebert who died — — — — — 615 and Phillippa, Matilda, Mary 1. and 2. — — — — — — — — — Mary Queen of Scots, Elizabeth, Catherine, — — — — Anne, Editha, Eleanor [p. 1121]
<October 28> Cathedral was again destroyed by fire, which also involved the greater part of the  Metropolis in ruin<s>. It was — — — — — — rebuilt in 1099 — — — — — — — — —  — — — — and — — — partly burned 1132 and — — — in 1135–6 it sustained considerable  injury. It was fired by lightning in 1444 and repaired in 1462. In June  1561 the spire was again set on fire which destroyed spire and roof. Repairs  were commenced by Queen Elizabeth and finished by Laud and King Charles  the first, who expended £104,330 — — — — but immediately dissensions arose between  the King and Parliament, the revenues of the Church were confiscated, the  money and materials seized by the Parliament, and the whole body of the  building was converted into stables and barracks for dragoons. It was again  repaired in the reign of Charles the second, but it was not finished before  it became a prey to the flames in the great fire of London 1666. — — — —  — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —  — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — The — — — present — — — — — — — Cathedral  was built under the direction of Sir Christopher Wren, the first stone was  laid on the 21st. of June, 1674 and the highest stone of the pile was laid at  the top of the lantern by Mr. Christopher Wren the son of the Architect in the  year 1710, and the last finishing and adorning the Church was — — — — in  1715 by George the first; the whole expense of erecting this magnificent  structure, was about £736,000 — — — — — — — — The — — — dimensions of  the Cathedral — — — — — — — — — — — — — <are> from east to west  500 feet, the breadth — — — — — — — 285 feet, the height from the pavement  in the street to the top of the cross over the dome 404 feet, two — — — —  towers at the west end, are each 222 feet in height, the general height of the  wall is about 90 feet; it was 40 years in building, and covers about two acres  of ground. It contains 47 monuments of fine marble erected over the tombs  of certain <Dukes, Earls,> Lords, Bishops, Generals, and others — — — , who had distinguished  themselves in the — — — — — service of Great Britain and otherwise, Lord Nelson  being the most noted— We walked through this church from the base to the ball,  being about 400 feet high, from <the upper gallery we> — — — also had a view of the City,  we passed through the whispering gallery, — — — — — — and though it was — — — —  large yet a whisper could be distinctly heard and understood from the most  remote part of it, and when the door shut <the sound> — — — penetrates the ear like  peals of thunder. This is one of the largest Cathedral<s> in the world — — — — —   — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — On the 5th. of September  we visited Westminster Abbey, which is composed of 11 Chapels, — — — — — —  — — — — — — — viz. St. Benedicts, St. Edmund, St. Nicholas, Henry the Seventh,  St. Paul, St. Edward the Confessor, St. Erasmus, Abbot Islip, St. John, St. Andrew,  and St. Michael. These Chapels contain the bodies tombs and monuments of 13 kings,  viz. Edward 1st., 3rd., 5th., 6th., Charles 2nd., Henry 3rd., 5th., 7th., James 1st., George 2nd.,  Richard 2nd., William 3rd., and Sebert King of the East Saxons, who first built  this Church, and died <near> 616. Also 13 Queens, viz, Athelgoda Queen of Sebert  who died — — — — — 615 and Phillippa, Matilda, Mary 1. and 2. — — — — —  — — — — Mary <Queen of Scots>, Elizabeth, Catherine, — — — — Anne, Editha, Eleanor [p. 1121]
PreviousNext
This document, volume C-1, is the third of six volumes of the “Manuscript History of the Church.” The collection was compiled over an eighteen-year span from 1838 to 1856 and covers the period from 23 December 1805 to 8 August 1844. The narrative in this volume commences on 2 November 1838 with JS and other church leaders being held prisoner by the “Governor

14 Dec. 1796–14 Mar. 1860. Bookkeeper, bank cashier, merchant, Indian agent and trader, lawyer, doctor, postmaster, politician. Born at Lexington, Fayette Co., Kentucky. Son of John M. Boggs and Martha Oliver. Served in War of 1812. Moved to St. Louis, ca...

View Full Bio
’s forces” at Far West

Originally called Shoal Creek. Located fifty-five miles northeast of Independence. Surveyed 1823; first settled by whites, 1831. Site purchased, 8 Aug. 1836, before Caldwell Co. was organized for Latter-day Saints in Missouri. William W. Phelps and John Whitmer...

More Info
, Missouri, and concludes with the death of Bishop Vinson Knight

14 Mar. 1804–31 July 1842. Farmer, druggist, school warden. Born at Norwich, Hampshire Co., Massachusetts. Son of Rudolphus Knight and Rispah (Rizpah) Lee. Married Martha McBride, 14 Mar. 1826. Moved to Perrysburg, Cattaraugus Co., New York, by Mar. 1834....

View Full Bio
at Nauvoo

Principal gathering place for Saints following expulsion from Missouri. Beginning in 1839, LDS church purchased lands in earlier settlement of Commerce and planned settlement of Commerce City, as well as surrounding areas. Served as church headquarters, 1839...

More Info
, Illinois, on 31 July 1842. For a more complete discussion of the entire six-volume work, see the general introduction to this history.
Volume C-1 was created beginning on or just after 24 February 1845 and its narrative completed on 3 May although work continued on the volume through 3 July of that year (Richards, Journal, 24 and 28 Feb. 1845; Historian’s Office, Journal, 3 May 1845; 3 and 4 July 1845). It is in the handwriting of Thomas Bullock and contains 512 pages of primary text, plus 24 pages of addenda. Additional addenda for this volume were created at a later date in a separate volume, and will appear in this collection as a separate document. Compilers Willard Richards

24 June 1804–11 Mar. 1854. Teacher, lecturer, doctor, clerk, printer, editor, postmaster. Born at Hopkinton, Middlesex Co., Massachusetts. Son of Joseph Richards and Rhoda Howe. Moved to Richmond, Berkshire Co., Massachusetts, 1813. Moved to Chatham, Columbia...

View Full Bio
and Thomas Bullock drew heavily from JS’s letters, discourses, and diary entries; meeting minutes; church and other periodicals and journals; and reminiscences, recollections, and letters of church members and other contacts. At JS’s behest, they had maintained the first-person, chronological-narrative format established in previous volumes, as if JS were the author. Brigham Young

1 June 1801–29 Aug. 1877. Carpenter, painter, glazier, colonizer. Born at Whitingham, Windham Co., Vermont. Son of John Young and Abigail (Nabby) Howe. Brought up in Methodist household; later joined Methodist church. Moved to Sherburne, Chenango Co., New...

View Full Bio
, Heber C. Kimball

14 June 1801–22 June 1868. Blacksmith, potter. Born at Sheldon, Franklin Co., Vermont. Son of Solomon Farnham Kimball and Anna Spaulding. Married Vilate Murray, 22 Nov. 1822, at Mendon, Monroe Co., New York. Member of Baptist church at Mendon, 1831. Baptized...

View Full Bio
, George A. Smith

26 June 1817–1 Sept. 1875. Born at Potsdam, St. Lawrence Co., New York. Son of John Smith and Clarissa Lyman. Baptized into LDS church by Joseph H. Wakefield, 10 Sept. 1832, at Potsdam. Moved to Kirtland, Geauga Co., Ohio, 1833. Labored on Kirtland temple...

View Full Bio
, and others reviewed and modified the manuscript prior to its eventual publication in the Salt Lake City newspaper Deseret News.
The historical narrative recorded in volume C-1 continued the account of JS’s life as prophet and president of the church. Critical events occurring within the forty-five-month period of this volume include the Missouri

Area acquired by U.S. in Louisiana Purchase, 1803, and established as territory, 1812. Missouri Compromise, 1820, admitted Missouri as slave state, 1821. Population in 1830 about 140,000; in 1836 about 240,000; and in 1840 about 380,000. Mormon missionaries...

More Info
Mormon War; subsequent legal trials of church leaders; expulsion of the Saints from Missouri; missionary efforts in England by the Twelve

Members of a governing body in the church, with special administrative and proselytizing responsibilities. A June 1829 revelation commanded Oliver Cowdery and David Whitmer to call twelve disciples, similar to the twelve apostles in the New Testament and ...

View Glossary
and others; attempts by JS to obtain federal redress for the Missouri depredations; publication of the LDS Millennial Star in England; the migration of English converts to America; missionary efforts in other nations; the death of church patriarch Joseph Smith Sr.

12 July 1771–14 Sept. 1840. Cooper, farmer, teacher, merchant. Born at Topsfield, Essex Co., Massachusetts. Son of Asael Smith and Mary Duty. Nominal member of Congregationalist church at Topsfield. Married to Lucy Mack by Seth Austin, 24 Jan. 1796, at Tunbridge...

View Full Bio
; the establishment of the Nauvoo

Principal gathering place for Saints following expulsion from Missouri. Beginning in 1839, LDS church purchased lands in earlier settlement of Commerce and planned settlement of Commerce City, as well as surrounding areas. Served as church headquarters, 1839...

More Info
city charter; the commencement of construction of the Nauvoo temple

JS revelation, dated Jan. 1841, commanded Saints to build temple and hotel (Nauvoo House). Cornerstone laid, 6 Apr. 1841. Saints volunteered labor, money, and other resources for temple construction. Construction directed by committee, which included Reynolds...

More Info
; the Wisconsin “pinery”

Also known as pinery. Area near Black River where lumbering operation was established to provide timber for construction of Nauvoo temple, Nauvoo House, and other public buildings. Four mills established on Black River, ca. Sept. 1841: three near Black River...

More Info
expedition that facilitated temple construction; the introduction of the doctrine of proxy baptism for deceased persons; the dedicatory prayer by Orson Hyde

8 Jan. 1805–28 Nov. 1878. Laborer, clerk, storekeeper, teacher, editor, businessman, lawyer, judge. Born at Oxford, New Haven Co., Connecticut. Son of Nathan Hyde and Sally Thorpe. Moved to Derby, New Haven Co., 1812. Moved to Kirtland, Geauga Co., Ohio, ...

View Full Bio
on the Mount of Olives in Palestine; publication of the “Book of Abraham” in the Nauvoo Times and Seasons; publication of the JS history often referred to as the “Wentworth letter;” the organization of the Female Relief Society of Nauvoo; and the inception of Nauvoo-era temple endowment ceremonies.

Facts