43990773

History, 1838–1856, volume C-1 [2 November 1838–31 July 1842]

October 28 are — — — Stone. On the south of the river lies the Borough &c. In addition to these were hundreds of churches, chapels, spires and monuments standing in the midst of one universal dense mass of brick and stone buildings; covering about six miles square of ground. While viewing this scenery in a clear day and beholding the streets and bridges crowded with human beings of every rank and station, and with beasts and vehicles of every kind, and the Thames covered with — — — Shipping from the skiff to the man of war, a Prussian traveller (Citizen of Berlin) who was standing by our side, exclaimed “I have travelled over Europe and Asia and other parts of the world, but I have never before found a spot upon the face of the Earth which — — — presented to my view as grand a scenery as the one now lying before us.” This monument is 24 feet higher than Trajans Pillar at Rome; it cost $75,500 The following is inscribed upon one side of the monument in Latin “In the year of Christ 1666, the second day of September, eastward from hence, at the distance of two hundred and two feet, the height of this column, about midnight, a most terrible fire broke out, which, driven on by a high wind, not only wasted the adjacent part, but also places very remote, with incredible noise and fury: it consumed 89— churches, the gates of the City, Guildhall, many public structures, hospitals, schools, libraries, a vast number of stately edifices, 13,200 dwelling houses, 400 streets; and of 26 wards it utterly destroyed 15 and left 8 others shattered and half burnt. The ruins of the city were 436 acres, from the Tower by the Thames side, to the Temple church: from the North east gate along the City wall to Holborn bridge. To the estates and fortunes of the Citizens it was merciless, but to their lives very favorable, (only eight being lost) That it might in all things resemble the last conflagration of the world, the destruction was sudden, for in a small space of time the same City was seen most flourishing, and reduced to nothing three days after, when the fatal fire had baffled all human councils and endeavors; the opinion of all, as it were by the will of heaven, it stopped, and on every side was extinguished.” On the 1st. day of September we visited the Thames Tunnel, by descending about 80 feet into — — — — — the earth on the south side of the river, and entering the archway on the left which was finished 1120 feet and was beautifully lighted up with gas; we walked through it under the Thames, with the River and British shipping over our heads: in the middle of the tunnel there are only about 15 feet between the top of the arch and the bed of the river— there are two archways each 22 feet high, the whole length of the Tunnel; which affords free communication from one shore to the other. This is — — — — one of the most stupendous works of modern times and truly shows that man hath sought out many inventions. On the 24th. of August we visited St. Pauls — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — Cathedral which was first built by St. Augustine in the year 610. It was destroyed by fire in 961 and rebuilt the following year; it was not till the reign of Athelstan that London became the Metropolis of England and it was to this Prince, more perhaps, than to any of his predecessors, that the Cathedral of St. Paul was indebted for its permanent establishment and pre-eminence. In 1086 this [p. 1120]
<October 28> are — — — Stone. On the south of the river lies the Borough &c. In addition to these  were hundreds of churches, chapels, spires and monuments standing in the  midst of one universal dense mass of brick and stone buildings; covering about  six miles square of ground. While viewing this scenery in a clear day and  beholding the streets and bridges crowded with human beings of every rank  and station, and with beasts and vehicles of every kind, and the Thames  covered with — — — Shipping from the skiff to the man of war, a Prussian  traveller (Citizen of Berlin) who was standing by our side, exclaimed “I have  travelled over Europe and Asia and other parts of the world, but I have never  before found a spot upon the face of the Earth which — — — presented to my  view as grand a scenery as the one now lying before us.” This monument  is 24 feet higher than Trajans Pillar at Rome; it cost $75,500 The following is  inscribed upon one side of the monument in Latin “In the year of Christ  1666, the second day of September, <eastward> from hence, at the distance of two hundred  and two feet, the height of this column, about midnight, a most terrible fire  broke out, which, driven on by a high wind, not only wasted the adjacent part,  but also places very remote, with incredible noise and fury: it consumed 89—  churches, the gates of the City, Guildhall, many public structures, hospitals, schools,  libraries, a vast number of stately edifices, 13,200 dwelling houses, 400 streets; and  <of> 26 wards it utterly destroyed 15 and left 8 others shattered and half burnt.  The ruins of the city were 436 acres, from the Tower by the Thames side, to  the Temple church: from the North east gate along the City wall to Holborn  bridge. To the estates and fortunes of the Citizens it was merciless, but to  their lives very favorable, (only eight being lost) That it might in all things  resemble the last conflagration of the world, the destruction was sudden, for in  a small space of time the same City was seen most flourishing, and reduced  to nothing three days after, when the fatal fire had baffled all human councils  and endeavors; the opinion of all, as it were by the will of heaven, it stopped,  and on every side was extinguished.” On the 1st. day of September we visited  the Thames Tunnel, by descending about 80 feet into — — — — — the earth on the  south side of the river, and entering the archway on the left which was finished  1120 feet and was beautifully lighted up with gas; we walked through it under the  Thames, with the River and British shipping over our heads: in the middle of the  <tunnel> there <are> only about 15 feet between the top of the arch and the bed of  the river— there are two archways <each> 22 feet high, the whole length of the Tunnel;  which afford<s> free communication from one shore to the other. This is — — — —  one of the most stupendous works of modern times and truly shows that man  hath sought out many inventions. On the 24th. of August we visited St. Pauls  — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —  Cathedral <which> was first built by St. Augustine in the year 610. It was  destroyed by fire in 961 and rebuilt the following year; it was not till the reign  of Athelstan that London became the Metropolis of England and it was to this  Prince, more perhaps, than to any of his predecessors, that the Cathedral of St. Paul  was indebted for its permanent establishment and pre-eminence. In 1086 this [p. 1120]
PreviousNext
This document, volume C-1, is the third of six volumes of the “Manuscript History of the Church.” The collection was compiled over an eighteen-year span from 1838 to 1856 and covers the period from 23 December 1805 to 8 August 1844. The narrative in this volume commences on 2 November 1838 with JS and other church leaders being held prisoner by the “Governor

14 Dec. 1796–14 Mar. 1860. Bookkeeper, bank cashier, merchant, Indian agent and trader, lawyer, doctor, postmaster, politician. Born at Lexington, Fayette Co., Kentucky. Son of John M. Boggs and Martha Oliver. Served in War of 1812. Moved to St. Louis, ca...

View Full Bio
’s forces” at Far West

Originally called Shoal Creek. Located fifty-five miles northeast of Independence. Surveyed 1823; first settled by whites, 1831. Site purchased, 8 Aug. 1836, before Caldwell Co. was organized for Latter-day Saints in Missouri. William W. Phelps and John Whitmer...

More Info
, Missouri, and concludes with the death of Bishop Vinson Knight

14 Mar. 1804–31 July 1842. Farmer, druggist, school warden. Born at Norwich, Hampshire Co., Massachusetts. Son of Rudolphus Knight and Rispah (Rizpah) Lee. Married Martha McBride, 14 Mar. 1826. Moved to Perrysburg, Cattaraugus Co., New York, by Mar. 1834....

View Full Bio
at Nauvoo

Principal gathering place for Saints following expulsion from Missouri. Beginning in 1839, LDS church purchased lands in earlier settlement of Commerce and planned settlement of Commerce City, as well as surrounding areas. Served as church headquarters, 1839...

More Info
, Illinois, on 31 July 1842. For a more complete discussion of the entire six-volume work, see the general introduction to this history.
Volume C-1 was created beginning on or just after 24 February 1845 and its narrative completed on 3 May although work continued on the volume through 3 July of that year (Richards, Journal, 24 and 28 Feb. 1845; Historian’s Office, Journal, 3 May 1845; 3 and 4 July 1845). It is in the handwriting of Thomas Bullock and contains 512 pages of primary text, plus 24 pages of addenda. Additional addenda for this volume were created at a later date in a separate volume, and will appear in this collection as a separate document. Compilers Willard Richards

24 June 1804–11 Mar. 1854. Teacher, lecturer, doctor, clerk, printer, editor, postmaster. Born at Hopkinton, Middlesex Co., Massachusetts. Son of Joseph Richards and Rhoda Howe. Moved to Richmond, Berkshire Co., Massachusetts, 1813. Moved to Chatham, Columbia...

View Full Bio
and Thomas Bullock drew heavily from JS’s letters, discourses, and diary entries; meeting minutes; church and other periodicals and journals; and reminiscences, recollections, and letters of church members and other contacts. At JS’s behest, they had maintained the first-person, chronological-narrative format established in previous volumes, as if JS were the author. Brigham Young

1 June 1801–29 Aug. 1877. Carpenter, painter, glazier, colonizer. Born at Whitingham, Windham Co., Vermont. Son of John Young and Abigail (Nabby) Howe. Brought up in Methodist household; later joined Methodist church. Moved to Sherburne, Chenango Co., New...

View Full Bio
, Heber C. Kimball

14 June 1801–22 June 1868. Blacksmith, potter. Born at Sheldon, Franklin Co., Vermont. Son of Solomon Farnham Kimball and Anna Spaulding. Married Vilate Murray, 22 Nov. 1822, at Mendon, Monroe Co., New York. Member of Baptist church at Mendon, 1831. Baptized...

View Full Bio
, George A. Smith

26 June 1817–1 Sept. 1875. Born at Potsdam, St. Lawrence Co., New York. Son of John Smith and Clarissa Lyman. Baptized into LDS church by Joseph H. Wakefield, 10 Sept. 1832, at Potsdam. Moved to Kirtland, Geauga Co., Ohio, 1833. Labored on Kirtland temple...

View Full Bio
, and others reviewed and modified the manuscript prior to its eventual publication in the Salt Lake City newspaper Deseret News.
The historical narrative recorded in volume C-1 continued the account of JS’s life as prophet and president of the church. Critical events occurring within the forty-five-month period of this volume include the Missouri

Area acquired by U.S. in Louisiana Purchase, 1803, and established as territory, 1812. Missouri Compromise, 1820, admitted Missouri as slave state, 1821. Population in 1830 about 140,000; in 1836 about 240,000; and in 1840 about 380,000. Mormon missionaries...

More Info
Mormon War; subsequent legal trials of church leaders; expulsion of the Saints from Missouri; missionary efforts in England by the Twelve

Members of a governing body in the church, with special administrative and proselytizing responsibilities. A June 1829 revelation commanded Oliver Cowdery and David Whitmer to call twelve disciples, similar to the twelve apostles in the New Testament and ...

View Glossary
and others; attempts by JS to obtain federal redress for the Missouri depredations; publication of the LDS Millennial Star in England; the migration of English converts to America; missionary efforts in other nations; the death of church patriarch Joseph Smith Sr.

12 July 1771–14 Sept. 1840. Cooper, farmer, teacher, merchant. Born at Topsfield, Essex Co., Massachusetts. Son of Asael Smith and Mary Duty. Nominal member of Congregationalist church at Topsfield. Married to Lucy Mack by Seth Austin, 24 Jan. 1796, at Tunbridge...

View Full Bio
; the establishment of the Nauvoo

Principal gathering place for Saints following expulsion from Missouri. Beginning in 1839, LDS church purchased lands in earlier settlement of Commerce and planned settlement of Commerce City, as well as surrounding areas. Served as church headquarters, 1839...

More Info
city charter; the commencement of construction of the Nauvoo temple

JS revelation, dated Jan. 1841, commanded Saints to build temple and hotel (Nauvoo House). Cornerstone laid, 6 Apr. 1841. Saints volunteered labor, money, and other resources for temple construction. Construction directed by committee, which included Reynolds...

More Info
; the Wisconsin “pinery”

Also known as pinery. Area near Black River where lumbering operation was established to provide timber for construction of Nauvoo temple, Nauvoo House, and other public buildings. Four mills established on Black River, ca. Sept. 1841: three near Black River...

More Info
expedition that facilitated temple construction; the introduction of the doctrine of proxy baptism for deceased persons; the dedicatory prayer by Orson Hyde

8 Jan. 1805–28 Nov. 1878. Laborer, clerk, storekeeper, teacher, editor, businessman, lawyer, judge. Born at Oxford, New Haven Co., Connecticut. Son of Nathan Hyde and Sally Thorpe. Moved to Derby, New Haven Co., 1812. Moved to Kirtland, Geauga Co., Ohio, ...

View Full Bio
on the Mount of Olives in Palestine; publication of the “Book of Abraham” in the Nauvoo Times and Seasons; publication of the JS history often referred to as the “Wentworth letter;” the organization of the Female Relief Society of Nauvoo; and the inception of Nauvoo-era temple endowment ceremonies.

Facts