<November 2nd.> for , when I was left in sole command. I then took up my line of march for Goose Creek, one mile South of , which point we reached about one hour by sun in the evening. Just as the troops were encamping, I received intelligence from , from his position on the right that he had discovered a party of mounted Mormons approaching from the East, and requested permission to intercept them if possible. Leave was granted and his Brigade started off at nearly full speed to accomplish the Order, but the Mormons succeeded in reaching the fort. approached within two hundred yards of their fortress, when they displayed a force of about eight hundred men. <--> At this juncture I ordered, Gen. Graham’s brigade (holding ’ and part of ’s mounted in reserve) to march full speed to the relief of the 1st. Brigade 3rd. Division, but from the inequality of the force of the first detachment. (being only two hundred and fifty strong at that time and the Mormons 800) <--> it was considered prudent to withdraw the troops, and march against them in the morning, which was accordingly done, and they all returned, as dark set in, to camp. At this place I established my head quarters, and continued there during the expedition against the Mormons. The detachment under returned about 9 o’clock P.M. The next morning 31st. of October, I received a message from , the Commander of the Mormon forces -[ Militia]- requesting an interview with me, on an eminence near , which he would designate by hoisting a white flag. I sent him word I would meet him at 2 o’clock p.m. being so much engaged in receiving and encamping fresh troops, who were hourly coming in, that I could not attend before. Accordingly at that time, I started with my staff officers and Brig. Gens. , , and Graham, being left in command We met him and some other Mormons at the point before mentioned. He stated that his object in asking me to meet him there was to know if there could not be some compromise or settlement of the difficulty without a resort to arms. After giving him to understand the nature of your orders, I made him the following propositions, which I furnished him a copy of, also a copy of your order. viz:
1st. To give up their -[the Church]- leaders to be tried and punished.
2nd. To make an appropriation of their property, all who had taken up arms, to the payment of their debts, and indemnity for damage done by them.
3rd. That the balance should leave the , and be protected out by the Militia, but to be permitted to remain under protection until further orders were received from the .
4th. To give up the arms of every description to be receipted for.
agreed to the proposition readily, but wished to postpone the matter until morning. I then told him that I would require Jos. Smith Jr., , , , and , as hostages for his faithful compliance with the terms, and would pledge myself and each one of the officers present, that in case he, after reflecting and consulting upon the proposition during the night, declined acceding to them, that the hostages should be returned to him in the morning, at the same point they were received, but it was understood in case they did comply, they were to be held for trial as part of the leaders called for by the first stipulation; I then gave him until one hour by [p. 851]