53992213

History, 1838–1856, volume C-1 Addenda

of God in these last days.
All those elders and priests who are now in the vineyard will communicate with us immediately and inform us of their situations, designs, and all things relating to their ministry, and improve the earliest opportunity of repairing hither where they will have the privilege of instruction from the first Presidency and thereby understanding principle and doctrine, not to be learned elsewhere, and which is necessary for them to know, that they may become wise stewards in their master’s house.
We are engaged in a great work, and but little comparatively can be known of the magnitude thereof, of the Revelations of heaven, and the order of the kingdom, by the Saints while they are scattered to the four winds; and this being well understood by the ancient prophets and apostles was the reason why they so often spoke of the gathering in the last days, and as this is the place where the Elders are to receive instruction concerning their ministry, so as to become successful ministers of the dispensation of the fulness of times, so also this is the place where the brethren may receive such instructions as are necessary to constitute them a righteous and holy people, prepared for the reception of the Lord Jesus; therefore, we say to all Saints who desire to do the will of heaven, arise, and tarry not, but come up hither to the places of gathering as speedily as possible, for the time is rapidly approaching when the Saints will have occasion to regret, that they have so long neglected to assemble themselves together and stand in holy places awaiting those tremendous events which are so rapidly approaching the nations of the earth.
It will be recollected that in a recent communication from the First Presidency, all places of gathering are discontinued, excepting Hancock County

Formed from Pike Co., 1825. Described in 1837 as predominantly prairie and “deficient in timber.” Early settlers came mainly from mid-Atlantic and southern states. Population in 1835 about 3,200; in 1840 about 9,900; and in 1844 at least 15,000. Carthage ...

More Info
Ill. and Zarahemla

Located about one mile west of Mississippi River; area settled, by May 1839. Site for town selected by JS, 2 July 1839, and later confirmed by revelation, Mar. 1841. Iowa stake of LDS church organized by JS, by Oct. 1839. Stake name changed to Zarahemla, ...

More Info
in Lee County I. T. opposite Nauvoo

Principal gathering place for Saints following expulsion from Missouri. Beginning in 1839, LDS church purchased lands in earlier settlement of Commerce and planned settlement of Commerce City, as well as surrounding areas. Served as church headquarters, 1839...

More Info
, and we would suggest to those coming up the Mississippi

Principal U.S. river running southward from Itasca Lake, Minnesota, to Gulf of Mexico. Covered 3,160-mile course, 1839 (now about 2,350 miles). Drains about 1,100,000 square miles. Steamboat travel on Mississippi very important in 1830s and 1840s for shipping...

More Info
particularly, and all others who are disposed, to look at Warsaw

Located at foot of Des Moines Rapids of Mississippi River at site of three military forts: Fort Johnson (1814), Cantonment Davis (1815–1818), and Fort Edwards (1816–1824). First settlers participated in fur trade. Important trade and shipping center. Post...

More Info
, a beautifully located village about 20 miles below Nauvoo

Principal gathering place for Saints following expulsion from Missouri. Beginning in 1839, LDS church purchased lands in earlier settlement of Commerce and planned settlement of Commerce City, as well as surrounding areas. Served as church headquarters, 1839...

More Info
, consisting of about 500 inhabitants, a steam flour and lumber mill; one mile below is a section already surveyed on which the town of Warren

Platted on school section number 16, one mile south of Warsaw, summer 1841. Quorum of Twelve wrote epistle to Saints, 26 Aug. 1841, inviting immigrants to settle in Warren. Willard Richards moved to Warsaw and sold lots in Warren, Sept. 1841. Joseph Fielding...

More Info
is to be built, and every facility is now offered to the brethren, for the immediate erection of houses, the location being very desirable at the lowest point of the Desmoine Rapids.
As we have been called upon to act as agents for the church, it may be expected that some one or more of our Quorum may be [p. 28]
of God in these last days.
All those elders and priests who are now in the vineyard  will communicate with us immediately and inform us of their  situations, designs, and all things relating to their ministry, and  improve the earliest opportunity of repairing hither where they  will have the privilege of instruction from the first Presidency  and thereby understanding principle and doctrine, not to be  learned elsewhere, and which is necessary for them to know, that  they may become wise stewards in their master’s house.
We are engaged in a great work, and but little comparatively  can be known of the magnitude thereof, of the Revelations of heaven,  and the order of the kingdom, by the Saints while they are scattered  to the four winds; and this being well understood by the ancient prophets  and apostles was the reason why they so often spoke of the gathering  in the last days, and as this is the place where the Elders are to re ceive instruction concerning their ministry, so as to become successful  ministers of the dispensation of the fulness of times, so also this is  the place where the brethren may receive such instructions as are  necessary to constitute them a righteous and holy people, prepared  for the reception of the Lord Jesus; therefore, we say to all Saints  who desire to do the will of heaven, arise, and tarry not, but  come up hither to the places of gathering as speedily as possible,  for the time is rapidly approaching when the Saints will have  occasion to regret, that they have so long neglected to assemble themselves  together and stand in holy places awaiting those tremendous events which  are so rapidly approaching the nations of the earth.
It will be recollected that in a recent communication from the  First Presidency, all places of gathering are discontinued, excepting  Hancock County

Formed from Pike Co., 1825. Described in 1837 as predominantly prairie and “deficient in timber.” Early settlers came mainly from mid-Atlantic and southern states. Population in 1835 about 3,200; in 1840 about 9,900; and in 1844 at least 15,000. Carthage ...

More Info
Ill. and Zarahemla

Located about one mile west of Mississippi River; area settled, by May 1839. Site for town selected by JS, 2 July 1839, and later confirmed by revelation, Mar. 1841. Iowa stake of LDS church organized by JS, by Oct. 1839. Stake name changed to Zarahemla, ...

More Info
in Lee County I. T. opposite  Nauvoo

Principal gathering place for Saints following expulsion from Missouri. Beginning in 1839, LDS church purchased lands in earlier settlement of Commerce and planned settlement of Commerce City, as well as surrounding areas. Served as church headquarters, 1839...

More Info
, and we would suggest to those coming up the Mississippi

Principal U.S. river running southward from Itasca Lake, Minnesota, to Gulf of Mexico. Covered 3,160-mile course, 1839 (now about 2,350 miles). Drains about 1,100,000 square miles. Steamboat travel on Mississippi very important in 1830s and 1840s for shipping...

More Info
 particularly, and all others who are disposed, to look at Warsaw

Located at foot of Des Moines Rapids of Mississippi River at site of three military forts: Fort Johnson (1814), Cantonment Davis (1815–1818), and Fort Edwards (1816–1824). First settlers participated in fur trade. Important trade and shipping center. Post...

More Info
,  a beautifully located village about 20 miles below Nauvoo

Principal gathering place for Saints following expulsion from Missouri. Beginning in 1839, LDS church purchased lands in earlier settlement of Commerce and planned settlement of Commerce City, as well as surrounding areas. Served as church headquarters, 1839...

More Info
, consisting  of about 500 inhabitants, a steam flour and lumber mill; one mile  below is a section already surveyed on which the town of Warren

Platted on school section number 16, one mile south of Warsaw, summer 1841. Quorum of Twelve wrote epistle to Saints, 26 Aug. 1841, inviting immigrants to settle in Warren. Willard Richards moved to Warsaw and sold lots in Warren, Sept. 1841. Joseph Fielding...

More Info
 is to be built, and every facility is now offered to the brethren,  for the immediate erection of houses, the location being very desir able at the lowest point of the Desmoine Rapids.
As we have been called upon to act as agents for the church,  it may be expected that some one or more of our Quorum may be [p. 28]
PreviousNext
JS, History, 1838–1856, vol. C-1, addenda, created 18 Oct.–ca. 20 Nov. 1854; 75 pages in volume bearing three labels reading “Historical Notation,” “From 1841 to 1851,” and “Addenda to C1;” handwriting of Leo Hawkins, Jonathan Grimshaw, Robert Campbell, and John L. Smith; CHL.

Facts