27466

Journal, 1832–1834

and find my family all well. O Lord, bless my little children with health and long life69

JS and his wife Emma had lost four of their six children.  


to do good in this generation for Christs sake. Amen.

Notes70

This table—listing settlements, villages, and townships and identifying them by county and state—apparently charts a proposed itinerary for the recruitment and fund-raising mission. Subsequent journal entries indicate that the men did not actually visit all these locations and that they stopped at others not listed here.  


Kirtland

Located ten miles south of Lake Erie. Settled by 1811. Organized by 1818. Population in 1830 about 55 Latter-day Saints and 1,000 others; in 1838 about 2,000 Saints and 1,200 others; in 1839 about 100 Saints and 1,500 others. Mormon missionaries visited township...

More Info
Geauga Ohio
Thompson

Located about twenty miles northeast of Kirtland, Ohio. Settled 1800. Surveyed 1809. Incorporated 1817. Population in 1830 about 700. Population in 1840 about 1,000. Latter-day Saints from Colesville, New York, were directed to settle in area on 759 acres...

More Info
Springfield

Settled 1796. Incorporated 1800. Population in 1830 about 1,500. Population in 1840 about 2,300. Latter-day Saint missionaries passed through area when traveling between Ohio and New York. JS traveled through Springfield on missions, 1833 and 1834. Branch...

More Info
Erie Pennsylvania
Elk Creek

Settled 1797. Incorporated 1800. Population in 1830 about 560. Population in 1840 about 1,600. Situated on Elk Creek. Included Elk Creek post office. JS traveled through township during missions, 1833 and 1834. Branch of LDS church organized, 1833.

More Info
^ — —
Westfield

Formed 1829. Population in 1830 about 2,500. Population in 1835 about 3,000. Included Westfield village; settled 1800; incorporated Apr. 1833. Westfield branch of LDS church had about seventy-five members, 1835. Latter-day Saint Job Lewis hosted conferences...

More Info
——————————
Laona

Village with about 40 domiciles, 1836. Population in 1842 about 400.

More Info
Chautauque New York
Silver Creek

Located at mouth of Silver Creek (or Steer Creek) on Lake Erie, in northwest corner of Hanover Township. Incorporated as village, 1848.

More Info
——————————
Perrysburgh

Also spelled Perrysburgh. Located in northwestern New York state, about six miles southeast of Lake Erie. Created 1814; first known as Perry Township. Name changed to Perrysburg, 1818. Population in 1830 about 2,400. Branch of LDS church organized in township...

More Info
Cattaraugus
Collins Erie
China
[p. 55]
and <find> my Family all well  O Lord bless my little chil dren with health and  long life69

JS and his wife Emma had lost four of their six children.  


to do good in th  generation for Christs sake  sake Amen

Notes70

This table—listing settlements, villages, and townships and identifying them by county and state—apparently charts a proposed itinerary for the recruitment and fund-raising mission. Subsequent journal entries indicate that the men did not actually visit all these locations and that they stopped at others not listed here.  


Unidentified handwriting begins.  


Kirtland

Located ten miles south of Lake Erie. Settled by 1811. Organized by 1818. Population in 1830 about 55 Latter-day Saints and 1,000 others; in 1838 about 2,000 Saints and 1,200 others; in 1839 about 100 Saints and 1,500 others. Mormon missionaries visited township...

More Info
Geauger [Geauga] Ohio
Thom[p]son

Located about twenty miles northeast of Kirtland, Ohio. Settled 1800. Surveyed 1809. Incorporated 1817. Population in 1830 about 700. Population in 1840 about 1,000. Latter-day Saints from Colesville, New York, were directed to settle in area on 759 acres...

More Info
Springfield

Settled 1796. Incorporated 1800. Population in 1830 about 1,500. Population in 1840 about 2,300. Latter-day Saint missionaries passed through area when traveling between Ohio and New York. JS traveled through Springfield on missions, 1833 and 1834. Branch...

More Info
Erie Pensyvania [Pennsylvania]
Elk crick [Creek]

Settled 1797. Incorporated 1800. Population in 1830 about 560. Population in 1840 about 1,600. Situated on Elk Creek. Included Elk Creek post office. JS traveled through township during missions, 1833 and 1834. Branch of LDS church organized, 1833.

More Info
^ — —
Westfield

Formed 1829. Population in 1830 about 2,500. Population in 1835 about 3,000. Included Westfield village; settled 1800; incorporated Apr. 1833. Westfield branch of LDS church had about seventy-five members, 1835. Latter-day Saint Job Lewis hosted conferences...

More Info
——————————
Laona

Village with about 40 domiciles, 1836. Population in 1842 about 400.

More Info
Chautauque N[ew] york
Silver Creek

Located at mouth of Silver Creek (or Steer Creek) on Lake Erie, in northwest corner of Hanover Township. Incorporated as village, 1848.

More Info
——————————
Perrysburgh

Also spelled Perrysburgh. Located in northwestern New York state, about six miles southeast of Lake Erie. Created 1814; first known as Perry Township. Name changed to Perrysburg, 1818. Population in 1830 about 2,400. Branch of LDS church organized in township...

More Info
Cateragus [Cattaraugus]
Collins Genesee [actually Erie]
China
[p. 55]
PreviousNext
JS, “Joseph Smith Jrs Book for Record,” Journal, Nov. 1832–Dec. 1834; handwriting of Oliver Cowdery

3 Oct. 1806–3 Mar. 1850. Clerk, teacher, justice of the peace, lawyer, newspaper editor. Born at Wells, Rutland Co., Vermont. Son of William Cowdery and Rebecca Fuller. Raised Congregationalist. Moved to western New York and clerked at a store, ca. 1825–1828...

View Full Bio
, JS, Frederick G. Williams

28 Oct. 1787–10 Oct. 1842. Ship’s pilot, teacher, physician, justice of the peace. Born at Suffield, Hartford Co., Connecticut. Son of William Wheeler Williams and Ruth Granger. Moved to Newburg, Cuyahoga Co., Ohio, 1799. Practiced Thomsonian botanical system...

View Full Bio
, Parley P. Pratt

12 Apr. 1807–13 May 1857. Farmer, editor, publisher, teacher, school administrator, legislator, explorer, author. Born at Burlington, Otsego Co., New York. Son of Jared Pratt and Charity Dickinson. Traveled west with brother William to acquire land, 1823....

View Full Bio
, Sidney Rigdon

19 Feb. 1793–14 July 1876. Tanner, farmer, minister. Born at St. Clair, Allegheny Co., Pennsylvania. Son of William Rigdon and Nancy Gallaher. Joined United Baptists, ca. 1818. Preached at Warren, Trumbull Co., Ohio, and vicinity, 1819–1821. Married Phebe...

View Full Bio
, Freeman Nickerson

2/12 Apr. 1806–16/14 Sept. 1862. Merchant, farmer. Born at Cavendish, Windsor Co., Vermont. Son of Freeman Nickerson and Huldah Chapman. Moved to Dayton, Cattaraugus Co., New York, mid 1820s. Moved to Mount Pleasant, Brantford Township, Wentworth Co. (later...

View Full Bio
, and six unidentified scribes; ninety-three pages; JS Collection, CHL. Includes redactions, use marks, and archival marking.
Pocket-size memorandum book, 5⅞ × 3¾ × ¼ inches (15 × 10 × 1 cm). The text block consists of fifty-four leaves measuring 5⅞ × 3⅝ inches (15 × 9 cm). There are four gatherings of six sheets each of ledger paper. Each sheet is folded so that each gathering has twelve leaves (twenty-four pages). These pages are ruled with sixteen blue horizontal lines—now almost entirely faded—as well as with red vertical lines for recording financial information. The endpapers consist of pastedowns on the inside covers and two free flyleaves in both the front and back. The gatherings are sewn all along on sawn-in cords. The front and back covers of the journal are pasteboard. The ledger has a tight-back case binding with a black calfskin quarter-leather binding. The outside covers are adorned in Schrottel marbled paper, with gray body and veins of black and blue. The volume originally had three leather loops—two in the back and one in the front—that were tipped in between the inside covers and the pastedowns. The former presence of the front cover loop, no longer extant, is evident from creasing and staining on the pastedown, which is now detached. The leather loops and their spacing allowed for the book to be fastened by inserting a pencil between all three loops. The vibrant blue veins and the grain of the marbling, now greatly diminished by water damage, are also visible under the now loose front pastedown.
JS wrote “Joseph Smith 1832.<3–4>” on the front cover in brown ink. On the front pastedown, “Joseph Smith” is written sideways, running upward near the bottom of the outer edge. Also, “Joseph” is written sideways, running downward, near the top of the inside of the same page. The handwriting of these inscriptions has not been identified. The journal entries begin on the recto of the second leaf (the first flyleaf) and end on the recto of the back pastedown, making 105 numbered pages. Regular journal entries, inscribed in various shades of brown ink, continue through page 93. Pages 94 to 102 are blank except for page 98, which has JS’s name in graphite pencil at the top in JS’s handwriting. Pages 103–105 record subscriptions, which were evidently solicited during JS’s 26 February–28 March 1834 New York

Located in northeast region of U.S. Area settled by Dutch traders, 1620s; later governed by Britain, 1664–1776. Admitted to U.S. as state, 1788. Population in 1810 about 1,000,000; in 1820 about 1,400,000; in 1830 about 1,900,000; and in 1840 about 2,400,...

More Info
mission, as well as a note apparently inscribed on 20 April 1834 in preparation for the conference held 20–21 April 1834 at Norton

Area first settled, 1814. Formed from Wolf Creek Township, 1818. Reported location of “great Mormon excitement,” 1832–1838. Population in 1830 about 650. Primarily populated by immigrants from New England states. Increased German Pennsylvanian immigration...

More Info
, Ohio. The book has suffered from water and mud damage, evidenced in part by some extremely faded ink on page 2. Glue from tipping in a damaged leaf has also obscured several characters in the gutter of page 2.
The journal’s textual redactions and use marks, in graphite pencil, were made by later scribes who used the journal to produce the multivolume manuscript history of the church. This occurred in Nauvoo

Principal gathering place for Saints following expulsion from Missouri. Beginning in 1839, LDS church purchased lands in earlier settlement of Commerce and planned settlement of Commerce City, as well as surrounding areas. Served as church headquarters, 1839...

More Info
, indicating the journal remained in JS’s possession. The journal is listed in Nauvoo and early Utah inventories of church records, indicating continuous custody.1

“Schedule of Church Records. Nauvoo 1846,” [1]; Historian’s Office, [7] “Historian’s Office Catalogue,” Catalogs and Inventories, 1846–1904, CHL; Johnson, Register of the Joseph Smith Collection, 7.  


Facts