30726

Minutes, 4 June 1833

A conference of high Priests met in Kirt land on the 4th of June 1833— in the translating  room and took into consideration how the french  farm should be disposed of the councel could not  agree who should take the charge of it but all  agreed to enquire of the lord accordinly we  received a revelation which decided that  broth[e]r N K [Newel K.] Whitney should take the charge  thereof and also that brothr John Johnson  be admited as a member of the united  firm accordingly he was ordaind unto the  high Priesthood and admited.
With plans for the Kirtland house of the Lord being discussed by church leaders in early 1833, the acquisition of land for the edifice became important. In spring 1833, a parcel owned by Peter French was purchased, whereon the structure would be built. Relying on a revelation dictated the same day, a conference of high priests determined that Bishop Newel K. Whitney should take charge of the French property on behalf of the church. The revelation also stated that John Johnson should be admitted as a member of the United Firm, which oversaw the church’s financial and mercantile operations.
Frederick G. Williams, JS’s scribe since 20 July 1832, kept the minutes of this meeting and entered a copy into Minute Book 1.

Facts