30730

Names of the Temples in Zion, 24 June 1833

The names of the Temples to be built on the painted squares  as represented on the plot of the City of Zion which is  now about to be forwarded thither. Nos 10, 11, & 12, are to be  called, House of the Lord for the presidency of the High  and most holy priesthood after the order of Melchizadeck  which was after the order of the son of God upon Mount Zion  City of the New Jerusalem. Nos. 7, 8, & 9 The Sacred Apostolic  Repository for the use of the Bishops. Nos, 4, 5, & 6 The holy ev angelical House for the High Priesthood of the holy order  of God. Nos 1, 2, & 3 The house of the Lord for the Elders  of Zion, an ensign to the nations. Nos 22, 23 & 24 House of  the Lord for the presidency of the high Priesthood after the order  of Aaaron, a standard for the people. Nos 19, 20, 21 House of  the Lord for the high Priesthood after the order of Aaron, the  Law of the Kingdom of heaven, Messenger to the people. Nos 16, 17,  & 18 House of the Lord for the Teachers in Zion, messenger to the  church. Nos 13, 14, & 15 House of the Lord for the Deacons in  Zion, helps in government. Underneath must be written on each  House— Holiness To the Lord 24 June 1833 [p. 22]
Once Zion was identified in western Missouri in 1831, preparations for its establishment proceeded. In summer 1833, church leaders prepared a carefully drawn plat for the city and an architectural design for a temple complex around which the city would be built. The plat called for the construction of not just one but twenty-four temples, as the center of a master plan to accommodate a municipality of 15,000 to 20,000 inhabitants.
The temples were designed to facilitate church operations, including structures for worship, educational instruction, office space, and meeting places for various orders of the priesthood. The church’s presidency selected one of the twenty-four temple sites marked on the plat and indicated that there a “house of the Lord” was to be “built first in Zion.”
On 25 June 1833, JS, Sidney Rigdon, Frederick G. Williams, and Martin Harris wrote to the church leaders in Missouri, including a draft plat for the city of Zion. A portion of that document dealt with details of the three central blocks upon which the twenty-four temples were to be located. Frederick G. Williams entered the names of those temples into Minute Book 1 on 24 June 1833.

Facts