Augusta, Iowa Territory 

 

Summary

Located in eastern Iowa Territory, sixteen miles northeast of Nauvoo.1 Included two post villages: North Augusta on north bank of Skunk River and South Augusta on south bank.2 Settled 1833.3 Branch of LDS church in Augusta had fifty members, by Aug. 1841, and eighty-four members, by Apr. 1843.4 Five members of Quorum of the Twelve visited branch to solicit support for construction of Nauvoo House, 30 Apr. 1843.5 Branch discontinued, 1844, after members were directed to move across Mississippi River to Nauvoo.6