Chardon Township, Ohio 

 

Summary

Located eight miles south of Lake Erie and immediately east of Kirtland Township.1 Settled by 1812.2 Included village of Chardon.3 Population of township in 1820 about 430; in 1830 about 880; and in 1840 about 1,100.4 Two of JS’s sisters resided in township.5 JS participated in at least twenty legal proceedings in courthouse and preached frequently in branch of LDS church in township.6 Chardon Saints obtained permission to travel to Missouri, summer 1831.7 Latter-day Saints in Kirtland often traveled to Chardon for legal and other business.8