Cincinnati, Ohio 

 

Summary

Area settled largely by emigrants from New England and New Jersey, by 1788.1 Village founded and surveyed adjacent to site of Fort Washington, 1789.2 First seat of legislature of Northwest Territory, 1790.3 Incorporated as city, 1819.4 Developed rapidly as shipping center after opening of Ohio and Erie canals, 1832.5 Seventh most populous city in U.S., by 1833.6 Port of entry and county seat.7 Population in 1820 about 9,600; in 1830 about 25,000; and in 1840 about 46,000.8 Four missionaries to American Indians preached here en route from Kirtland to Missouri, by Jan. 1831.9 JS visited city, June 1831, meeting with Campbellite minister Walter Scott.10 JS revelations directed him, Sidney Rigdon, and Oliver Cowdery to preach in city while traveling from Independence, Missouri, to Kirtland, Ohio, Aug. 1831.11 Lyman Wight baptized nearly one hundred people and formed first branch of LDS church in city, 1833.12 Second branch formed, 1840, by John E. Page and Orson Hyde.13 Hyde departed city for Jerusalem to dedicate Palestine, at JS’s direction, for return of Jews.14 Third edition of Book of Mormon printed in city, 1840.15 Brigham Young, Heber C. Kimball, and Lyman Wight held conference in city, 27 May 1844.16