Dixon, Illinois 

 

Summary

Northwestern-Illinois post village located on Rock River.1 Area settled and ferry established, spring 1828.2 Post office established, 1829.3 John Dixon settled in area with family, 11 Apr. 1830, and purchased ferry.4 Fort built in area during Black Hawk War, 1832.5 Settlement called Dixon’s Ferry, by 1834.6 Established as county seat, Oct. 1839.7 Name changed to Dixon, 1843.8 Population in 1845 about 400.9 JS arrested in area by officers from Jackson Co., Missouri, and Hancock Co., Illinois, in third Missouri extradition attempt, June 1843.10

Facts

Links