Geauga County, Ohio 

 

Summary

Located in northeastern Ohio, south of Lake Erie.1 Rivers in area include Grand, Chagrin, and Cuyahoga.2 Settled mostly by New Englanders, beginning 1798.3 Formed from Trumbull Co., 1 Mar. 1806.4 Chardon established as county seat, 1808.5 Population in 1830 about 16,000.6 Later formation of new counties, including Ashtabula, Cuyahoga, and Lake, considerably reduced original boundaries.7 Lake Co. formed from Geauga Co.’s seven northern townships, including Kirtland, 1840.8 JS moved to Geauga Co., Feb. 1831.9 See also “Kirtland Township.”