Kirtland Township, Ohio 

 

Summary

Located ten miles south of Lake Erie.1 Settled by 1811.2 Organized by 1818.3 Population in 1830 about 55 Latter-day Saints and 1,000 others; in 1838 about 2,000 Saints and 1,200 others; in 1839 about 100 Saints and 1,500 others.4 Mormon missionaries visited township, early Nov. 1830; many residents joined LDS church.5 JS and New York Saints migrated to Kirtland, 1831.6 Organized as “stake of Zion,” with presidency and high council, 17 Feb. 1834.7 House of the Lord built, 1833–1836.8 JS and other Saints participated in School of the Prophets as well as other schools devoted to wide variety of subjects, including Hebrew.9 Latter-day Saint press in Kirtland published newspapers, hymnal, second edition of Book of Mormon, and Doctrine and Covenants.10 While in township, JS obtained several ancient Egyptian mummies and papyrus scrolls; part of JS translation of some scrolls later published as Book of Abraham.11 JS also dictated at least forty-six revelations in township.12 JS appointed Heber C. Kimball to lead group of elders from Kirtland to serve first mission to England, 1837.13 Rapid immigration of Saints posed difficulty for both Saints and other residents.14 With increased demand for land in Kirtland, prices rose.15 Need for capital led to establishment of Kirtland Safety Society, but failure to obtain state charter, negative publicity, and other problems led to failure of financial institution, 1837.16 Under threats from dissidents and outside antagonists, JS and other church leaders fled township, early 1838.17 Many loyal Saints followed.18 Kirtland stake reorganized with 300 to 400 members, 1841.19 Acting on directive from JS, organized effort to leave Kirtland was again made in 1843, but many Saints remained through 1845.20 After death of JS and departure of most Saints, schismatic activity became prevalent in Kirtland.21

Links