Mentor Township, Ohio 

 

Summary

Located in northeastern Ohio, about three miles northeast of Kirtland.1 Area claimed by Connecticut (referred to as Western Reserve), 1786.2 Surveyed 1796.3 Settled by early 1798.4 Organized 1815.5 Population in 1830 about 700.6 Included village of Mentor.7 Sidney Rigdon and many members of his congregation (Disciples of Christ or “Campbellites”) were baptized in township by Parley P. Pratt and missionary companions, Nov. 1830.8 Branch of LDS church established in Mentor, early 1831.9 Became crossroads for church missionaries due to location on road between Kirtland and Painesville townships.10 JS described area as “goodly land” with “wealthy” residents.11 JS preached funeral sermon for Nathan Harris in Mentor, 18 Nov. 1835.12 JS took his family on sleigh ride through township en route to Painesville, 2 Dec. 1835.13

Facts

Links