Schoolhouse on the flats, Kirtland Township, Ohio 

 

Summary

Also referred to as “little red schoolhouse.”1 First frame schoolhouse in township.2 Built on Kirtland “flats” (lowlands on northern side of community just southwest of Kirtland-Chardon Road), 1819.3 Served as school for community and location of youth Sunday School classes; also occasionally used for church meetings prior to completion of temple.4 JS often preached at weekly meetings held on Tuesdays and Sundays in schoolhouse, 1835.5 See also “Schoolhouse, Kirtland.”