Painesville Township, Ohio 

 

Summary

Located on Grand River twelve miles northeast of Kirtland.1 Created and settled, 1800.2 Originally named Champion.3 Flourished economically from harbor on Lake Erie and as major route of overland travel for western emigration.4 Included Painesville village; laid out, ca. 1805; incorporated as town, 1832; designated county seat of newly formed Lake Co., 1840.5 Population in 1830 about 1,500.6 Latter-day Saints borrowed money from Painesville Bank of Geauga.7 JS visited Painesville often.8 Residence of Edward Partridge.9 Early center of anti-Mormon activities.10 Painesville Telegraph printed material critical of JS and LDS church.11 First major anti-Mormon book, Mormonism Unvailed, also published in township.12 JS was arrested and tried in township six times.13