N. K. Whitney & Co. 

Summary

A partnership between Newel K. Whitney and Sidney Gilbert; later the branch of the United Firm responsible for overseeing the church’s mercantile endeavors in Kirtland, Ohio.1 In late 1826 or early 1827, Whitney and Gilbert established this partnership to operate Whitney’s Kirtland store.2 The partnership was designated a branch of the United Firm in 1832.3 N. K. Whitney & Co. operated an ashery and, beginning in 1833, took over ownership of the French farm in Kirtland.4 Although the United Firm was reorganized in April 1834 and Gilbert died two months later, N. K. Whitney & Co. continued to operate the Kirtland store until 1838.5 See also “United Firm” and “Gilbert, Whitney & Co.