43990396

Doctrine and Covenants, 1844

der or priest, or it may be signed by the teach ers, or deacons of the church.
 

Instruction on Priesthood, circa April 1835 [D&C 107]

SECTION III.
 
ON PRIESTHOOD.
 
1 There are, in the church, two priesthoods,  namely: the Melchisedek, and the Aaronic,  including the Levitical priesthood. Why the  first is called the Melchisedek priesthood, is  because Melchisedek was such a great high  priest: before his day it was called the holy  priesthood, after the order of the Son of God;  but out of respect or reverence to the name  of the Supreme Being, to avoid the too fre quent repetition of his name, they, the church,  in ancient days, called that priesthood after  Melchisedek, or the Melchisedek priesthood.
2 All other authorities, or offices in the  church are appendages to this priesthood; but  there are two divisions, or grand heads—one  is the Melchisedek priesthood, and the other  is the Aaronic, or Levitical priesthood.
3 The office of an elder comes under the  priesthood of Melchisedek. The Melchisedek  priesthood holds the right of presidency, and  has power and authority over all the offices in  the church, in all ages of the world, to admin ister in spiritual things.
4 The presidency of the high priesthood,  after the order of Melchisedek, have a right to  officiate in all the offices in the church.
5 High priests, after the order of the Mel chisedek priesthood, have a right to officiate [p. 100]
PreviousNext
The Doctrine and Covenants of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints; Carefully Selected from the Revelations of God. By Joseph Smith, President of Said Church. 2nd ed. Nauvoo, IL: John Taylor, 1844; 3–448; includes typeset signature marks and copyright notice. The copy presented herein is held at CHL; includes marginalia and archival markings.
All but the final gathering of this book was printed in octodecimo format on thirteen sheets that were cut and folded into thirteen gatherings of eighteen leaves (thirty-six pages) each. The final gathering comprises eight leaves (sixteen pages). The text block measures 5⅞ × 3⅝ inches (15 × 9 cm).
The copy of the book presented herein is in a presentation binding of red sheepskin with gilt edges. The volume measures 6 × 3⅞ × 1 inches (15 × 10 × 3 cm). The spine is stamped with gilt ornamental panels and “Doctrine | and | Covenants” and “J. Glenn.” in gilt. The front and back pastedowns, the front flyleaf, and the back flyleaf are single-sided marbled leaves featuring a shell pattern with brown body and veins of red and white. In this copy, the first leaf of the first gathering, which is blank in other extant copies, is missing. The verso of the front flyleaf has two inscriptions, the first in graphite and the second in ink: “RN 69025 | Vault | Book Area | M223.1 | D632 | 1844” and “Jane Glenn | from her friend | Leonora Taylor | Nauvoo Oct 27th | 1844”. The handwriting of the first inscription is unknown; Leonora Taylor inscribed the second.
As the aforementioned ink inscription indicates, Leonora Taylor, wife of early church leader and printer John Taylor, presented this book to Jane Glenn. The book came into the possession of the Historical Department of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints circa 1983.

Facts