27466

Journal, 1832–1834

Clear text

Unidentified handwriting ends; different unidentified handwriting begins—possibly Hazard Andrus.  

 
Hazard Andrws [Andrus]

Ca. 1790–3/6 Mar. 1861/1862. Farmer. Born in New York. Lived in Cayuga Co., New York, by 1812. Served in War of 1812. Married Fanny Bishop, 19 June 1824, in Chautauque Co., New York. Lived in Portage Township, Allegany Co., New York, 1830. Lived in vicinity...

View Full Bio
1 paper  Fairview Postoffi[ce]  Cattara[u]gus County133

Fairview post office was located in Farmersville Township, New York. The journal records JS’s visit to Farmersville on 8 March 1834.  

 
I have sent the money  25 cents by David Mo◊◊◊◊◊134

TEXT: Possibly “Mathews”.  

 
 an[d] he was to send the  paper to Mis Taylor  to Rushford

First settled, by 1808. Formed from Caneadea Township, 8 Mar. 1816. Included Rushford village. Population in 1830 about 1,100. Population in 1840 about 1,500.

More Info
but I wish  to have it come in my  name as above

Unidentified—possibly Hazard Andrus—handwriting ends; Freeman Nickerson begins.  

 
Direct Samuel Mcbride  & James Mcbride Papers  to Nashville Postoffice  Shitauqua [Chautauque] County135

The present journal records that JS stayed with Reuben McBride, the brother of Samuel and James, on the night of 4 March 1834.  

 
I wish you to send me136

Freeman Nickerson. The present journal records that JS visited Nickerson’s home on 5 and 6 March 1834.  

 
 one more Paper monthly  and send one Monthly  Paper to Eleazer

12 Aug. 1776/1777–23 Sept. 1856. Sea captain, farmer. Born at Dennis, Barnstable Co., Massachusetts. Son of Eleazer Nickerson and Thankful Chase. Married Mercy Taylor Whilden (Weldon), 7 Dec. 1801, at Dennis. Died at Dennis.

View Full Bio
& Samuel  & Richard Nickerson South  Dennis in the County of Barnstable  Masachusetts137

The 1830 U.S. Census lists Freeman Nickerson’s brothers Eleazer, Samuel, and Richard Nickerson in the area of Yarmouth, Barnstable County, Massachusetts—four miles west-northwest of South Dennis. Their subscription was apparently ordered by their brother Freeman Nickerson. (1830 U.S. Census, Yarmouth, Barnstable Co., MA, 375; Dennis, Barnstable Co., MA, 392.)
Comprehensive Works Cited

 

 

Census (U.S.) / U.S. Bureau of the Census. Population Schedules. Microfilm. FHL.

F[reeman] Nickerson

5 Feb. 1779–22 Jan. 1847. Seaman. Born at South Dennis, Barnstable Co., Massachusetts. Son of Eleazer Nickerson and Thankful Chase. Moved to Cavendish, Windsor Co., Vermont, 1800. Married Huldah Chapman, 19 Jan. 1801, at Cavendish. Served as officer in Vermont...

View Full Bio
[p. 104]
PreviousNext
JS, “Joseph Smith Jrs Book for Record,” Journal, Nov. 1832–Dec. 1834; handwriting of Oliver Cowdery

3 Oct. 1806–3 Mar. 1850. Clerk, teacher, justice of the peace, lawyer, newspaper editor. Born at Wells, Rutland Co., Vermont. Son of William Cowdery and Rebecca Fuller. Raised Congregationalist. Moved to western New York and clerked at a store, ca. 1825–1828...

View Full Bio
, JS, Frederick G. Williams

28 Oct. 1787–10 Oct. 1842. Ship’s pilot, teacher, physician, justice of the peace. Born at Suffield, Hartford Co., Connecticut. Son of William Wheeler Williams and Ruth Granger. Moved to Newburg, Cuyahoga Co., Ohio, 1799. Practiced Thomsonian botanical system...

View Full Bio
, Parley P. Pratt

12 Apr. 1807–13 May 1857. Farmer, editor, publisher, teacher, school administrator, legislator, explorer, author. Born at Burlington, Otsego Co., New York. Son of Jared Pratt and Charity Dickinson. Traveled west with brother William to acquire land, 1823....

View Full Bio
, Sidney Rigdon

19 Feb. 1793–14 July 1876. Tanner, farmer, minister. Born at St. Clair, Allegheny Co., Pennsylvania. Son of William Rigdon and Nancy Gallaher. Joined United Baptists, ca. 1818. Preached at Warren, Trumbull Co., Ohio, and vicinity, 1819–1821. Married Phebe...

View Full Bio
, Freeman Nickerson

2/12 Apr. 1806–16/14 Sept. 1862. Merchant, farmer. Born at Cavendish, Windsor Co., Vermont. Son of Freeman Nickerson and Huldah Chapman. Moved to Dayton, Cattaraugus Co., New York, mid 1820s. Moved to Mount Pleasant, Brantford Township, Wentworth Co. (later...

View Full Bio
, and six unidentified scribes; 105 pages; JS Collection, CHL. Includes redactions and archival marking.
Pocket-size memorandum book, 5⅞ x 3¾ x ¼ inches (15 x 10 x 1 cm). The text block consists of fifty-four leaves measuring 5⅞ x 3⅝ inches (15 x 9 cm). There are four gatherings of six sheets each of ledger paper. Each sheet is folded so that each gathering has twelve leaves (twenty-four pages). These pages are ruled with sixteen blue horizontal lines—now almost entirely faded—as well as with red vertical lines for recording financial information. The endpapers consist of pastedowns on the inside covers and two free flyleaves in both the front and back. The gatherings are sewn all along on sawn-in cords. The front and back covers of the journal are pasteboard. The ledger has a tight-back case binding with a black calfskin quarter-leather binding. The outside covers are adorned in schrottel marbled paper, with gray body and veins of black and blue. The volume originally had three leather loops—two in the back and one in the front—that were tipped in between the inside covers and the pastedowns. The former presence of the front cover loop, no longer extant, is evident from creasing and staining on the pastedown, which is now detached. The leather loops and their spacing allowed for the book to be fastened by inserting a pencil between all three loops. The vibrant blue veins and the grain of the marbling, now greatly diminished by water damage, are also visible under the now loose front pastedown.
JS wrote “Joseph Smith 1832.<3–4>” on the front cover in black ink that later turned brown. On the front pastedown, “Joseph Smith” is written sideways, running upward near the bottom of the outer edge. Also, “Joseph” is written sideways, running downward near the top of the inside of the same page. The handwriting of these inscriptions has not been identified. The journal entries begin on the recto of the second leaf (the first flyleaf) and end on the recto of the back pastedown, making 105 numbered pages. Regular journal entries, inscribed in various shades of brown (formerly black) ink, continue through page 93. Pages 94 to 102 are blank except for page 98, which has JS’s name in graphite pencil at the top in JS’s handwriting. Pages 103–105 record subscriptions, which were evidently solicited during JS’s 26 February–28 March 1834 New York

Located in northeast region of U.S. Area settled by Dutch traders, 1620s; later governed by Britain, 1664–1776. Admitted to U.S. as state, 1788. Population in 1810 about 1,000,000; in 1820 about 1,400,000; in 1830 about 1,900,000; and in 1840 about 2,400,...

More Info
mission, as well as a note apparently inscribed on 20 April 1834 in preparation for the conference held 20–21 April 1834 at Norton

Area first settled, 1814. Formed from Wolf Creek Township, 1818. Reported location of “great Mormon excitement,” 1832–1838. Population in 1830 about 650. Primarily populated by immigrants from New England states. Increased German Pennsylvanian immigration...

More Info
, Ohio. The book has suffered from water and mud damage, evidenced in part by some extremely faded ink on page 2. Glue from tipping in a damaged leaf has also obscured several characters in the gutter of page 2.
The journal’s textual redactions and use marks, in graphite pencil, were made by later scribes who used the journal to produce the multivolume manuscript history of the church. This occurred in Nauvoo

Principal gathering place for Saints following expulsion from Missouri. Beginning in 1839, LDS church purchased lands in earlier settlement of Commerce and planned settlement of Commerce City, as well as surrounding areas. Served as church headquarters, 1839...

More Info
, indicating the journal remained in JS’s possession. The journal is listed in Nauvoo and early Utah inventories of church records, indicating continuous custody.1

Historian’s Office, “Schedule of Church Records”; Historian’s Office, “Historian’s Office Catalogue,” [7], Catalogs and Inventories, 1846–1904, CHL; Johnson, Register of the Joseph Smith Collection, 7.
Comprehensive Works Cited

 

 

Historian’s Office. Catalogs and Inventories, 1846–1904. CHL.

Johnson, Jeffery O. Register of the Joseph Smith Collection in the Church Archives, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Salt Lake City: Historical Department of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 1973.

Facts