31371

Minute Book 1

Report,
Of a Committee appointed by the Authorities of the  Church of Latter Day Saints, assembled in the house of  the Lord in Kirtland Feb. 24 1836 for the purpose of  drafting resolutions relative to the manner of granting  licences, to the official

3 March 1836 • Thursday

Kirtland Ohio March 3d 1836
The following Authorities of the Church of Latter-Day-Saints  assembled in the House of the Lord according to adjournment  for the purpose of trasacting business for the Church  (Viz.) The Presidency of the church, The Twelve Apostles  of the Lamb, the twelve high counsellors of the Church  in Kirtland, The twelve High Counsellors of the church  in Zion, The Bishop and his counsellors of Kirtland. The  Bishop and counsellors of Zion. The seven Presidents of  the Seventies. The President and Counsellors of the High Priests  The President and counsellors of the Elders, The President  and counsellors of the Priests: The President and coun sellors of the Teachers. and the President and counsellors  of the Deacons. Opened by singing & Prayer.
The committee appointed on the 24th of February  to draft resolutions for the better regulation of  Licensing the official Members of said church,  made their report, which was read three times  by the chairman of said Committee, After which  an addition was made to the 6th article, extend ing the power of the chairman & clerk pro-tem pore,  to act in the absence of the standing chairman &  Clerk. The following is a copy of the Report of a  Committee appointed by the authorities of the church  Latter-Day-Saints, assembled in the House of the Lord  in Kirtland. Feb. 24th 1836, for the purpose of drafting [p. 140]
PreviousNext
Minute Book 1, [ca. 3 Dec. 1832–30 Nov. 1837]; handwriting of Warren A. Cowdery, Frederick G. Williams, Orson Hyde, Marcellus F. Cowdery, George W. Robinson, Phineas Richards, and Harlow Redfield; 263 pages; CHL. Includes dockets, redactions, copy notes, use marks, and archival stamping and marking.
Medium-size blank book. The paper, which is ruled with thirty-four blue-green horizontal lines (now faded), measures 12 × 7½ inches (30 × 19 cm). The book originally contained 149 leaves, consisting of twelve gatherings of twelve leaves each, two front flyleaves, and three back flyleaves. The text block is sewn all along over recessed cords. The front and back covers of the volume are pasteboard. The book has a tight-back case binding with a brown calfskin quarter-leather binding, the bound volume measuring 12⅜ × 7¾ × 1 inches (31 × 20 × 3 cm). The outside covers are adorned with shell marbled paper, with a red, green, and black body and veins of black. The back pastedown bears the inscriptions “c”, “c/i”, and “pep”—possibly original merchandising notes.
A single leaf—the conjugate of the leaf bearing pages 15 and 16—was removed from the first gathering of the book, but this occurred before the adjacent leaves were inscribed or paginated. Page 1 is the first lined page. Minutes were inscribed in the book on pages 1–219 and 226–265. Pages 220–225 were left blank, except for their page numbers. Following page 265, the remaining twenty-one pages and the three back flyleaves were left blank. At some point, Frederick G. Williams began a table of contents, which was continued by Warren A. Cowdery but never completed; this table of contents is inscribed on all four pages of the two front flyleaves. The minute book was kept with quill pens. The entries and pagination were inscribed in ink that is now brown. Pages 39–55 include entry-dividing lines inscribed in red ink. There is also residue from an adhesive wafer on pages 156 and 157, indicating a sheet of paper was attached there at one time.
At some point, probably in the early 1840s, the front cover of the volume was labeled “Conference | A” in black ink. The “A” is written in a formal style that matches the covers of other early manuscript books in the CHL’s holdings. Copy notes and use marks, in¬scribed in graphite, were made by later scribes who used the minute book when compiling JS’s 1838–1856 history. At some point, probably in Utah, a white paper label was pasted on the spine; the label is now only partially extant, with the remaining inscription illegible. Another white paper label, also only partially extant, was pasted over this. It reads: “Kirtland Coun”. The rest of the label, which would have included approximately two more words, is missing. The pastedown on the inside of the book’s front cover bears an archival identification number inscribed in black ink and a more recent Historian’s Office library sticker. The spine also bears a more recent sticker with an identification number. Ink has bled through on several of the pages. The book has also suffered some wear and staining in the front and back.
The volume is listed in the 1846 Historian’s Office inventory as “Book of Conference A” and referred to as a Kirtland High Council record in subsequent Historian’s Office inventories from the 1850s. In 1988, the Church History Department transferred Minute Book 1 to the First Presidency’s Office. The minute book was transferred to the Church History Library in 2009. Archival records and the markings mentioned above indicate continuous institutional custody.

Facts