Minute Book 2

The subject of absent Councillors was discussed when  it was decided that those who can not attend the  Councils, resign their seats and let others fill their them  who will be able to attend punctually.

6 April 1838 • Friday

Far West April 6th 1838
Agreeable to a resolution passed the High Council of  Zion, March 3rd 1838, the saints of <in> Missouri assembled  at this place, to hold the anniversary of the Church of  Jesus Christ of Latter Day saints and to transact  Church buisness.
The meeting was opened by singing and prayer by  David W. Patten— After which President Joseph Smith jr  read the order of the day as follows;—
“The doors will be opened at 9 o’clock A.M. & the  meeting will commence by singing and Prayer.
A sexton will then be appointed for a door keeper &  other services in the house of the Lord.
Two historians will then be appointed to write  and keep the Church history.
Also a general recorder to keep the records of the  whole Church, & be the Clerk of the First Presidency
And a clerk will be appointed for the high Council & to  keep the Church records of this Stake.
And three Presidents will be appointed to preside over  this Church of Zion.
After which our address will be delivered by the presidency:
Then an intermission of one hour will take place—,
When the meeting will again convene & open by singing & prayer:
The Sacrament will then be administered and the  blessing of infants attended to:
The meeting then proceeded to buisness George  Morey was appointed sexton & Dimic[k] Huntington assistant  John Corrill and Elias Higbee were appointed histor ians; [p. 114]
Zion (Missouri) High Council and Nauvoo Stake High Council, “The Conference Minutes, and Record Book, of Christ’s Church of Latter Day Saints,” Minute Book 2, 6 Apr. 1838–[ca. June 1838], [ca. Oct. 1842], [ca. June 1844]; handwriting of Ebenezer Robinson, Hosea Stout, Levi Richards, Joseph M. Cole, and an unidentified scribe; 178 pages, as well as indexing in tabbed pages at beginning of book; CHL. Includes tables, redactions, use marks, and archival marking.
The second of two texts inscribed in a ledger book. The paper, which is ruled both horizontally and vertically, measures 12½ × 7¾ inches (32 × 20 cm). The book contains 276 leaves, including the flyleaves in the front and back of the book. The bound book, which features a brown suede leather cov-er, measures 13 × 8½ × 1¾ inches (33 × 22 × 4 cm). The spine has a pasted red label with “LEDGER” in gold lettering. Following the four front flyleaves, the first twenty-four pages are tabbed index pages. The next seventy-three pages were used by Warren Parrish for various financial accounts he kept prior to his move to Kirtland, Ohio. Following a blank page, Minute Book 2 fills the next 187 pages, although there are some blank pages within and at the end of this record. The portion of the ledger in which Minute Book 2 is inscribed has its own pagination, all apparently done by Hosea Stout. Ebenezer Robinson’s handwriting appears on the title page (the recto of the leaf preceding page 1) and on pages 1–37, 41–42, 44–52, and 55–93. Pages 38–40 are blank. Levi Richards’s handwriting appears on pages 43 and 52–55. There is also unidentified handwriting in the middle of page 87. The inscription ends with minutes of the Nauvoo, Illinois, stake high council meetings held 1 and 15 June 1844, recorded by Joseph M. Cole on pages 178–185. The minutes were recorded with a quill pen, and all are in brown ink, except for some blue ink on pages 179–181. The remaining 251 pages of the book are blank. There were originally four back flyleaves; only two remain, and they are blank.
Minute Book 2 includes several redactions made in graphite, as well as some marking in blue pencil. The leather cover was decorated with blind tooling at some point, and a paper sticker was pasted on the spine with “CONFERENCE MINUTES AND HIGH COUNCIL RECORDS OF FAR WEST” inscribed in unidentified handwriting. This sticker resembles several other such stickers found on early church record books.
The volume may have been included in the Nauvoo exodus inventory as part of “Records of High Council.” It is listed in middle- and late-nineteenth-century inventories of the Historian’s Office in Salt Lake City. The Historian’s Office apparently made a microfilm copy of the volume in 1954. Church historian Joseph Fielding Smith took the volume with him to the Office of the First Presidency when he became church president in 1970 and kept it in his safe. The book was returned to the Church History Department in 2008. These archival records and archival marking on the book indicate continuous institutional custody.