Chagrin Township, Ohio 

 

Summary

Located in northeastern Ohio.1 Bordered on north by Lake Erie.2 French fur trading post established, 1750.3 Area settled, 1797.4 Organized 1815.5 Originally called Charlton, by 1750; name changed to Chagrin, by 1815.6 Population in 1826 about 733.7 Population in 1839 about 750.8 Became part of Lake County, Mar. 1840.9 JS and wife purchased goods in township, 12 Oct. 1835, and visited Shadrach Roundy in area later that month.10 JS and other church leaders attended lecture at Willoughby College, 2 Nov. 1835.11 See also “Willoughby.”