Fayette Township, New York 

 

Summary

Located in northern part of county between Seneca and Cayuga lakes.1 Area settled, by 1790.2 Officially organized as Washington Township, 14 Mar. 1800.3 Name changed to Fayette, 6 Apr. 1808.4 Population in 1830 about 3,200.5 Population in 1840 about 3,700.6 Significant portion of Book of Mormon translation took place on Whitmer farm in township.7 Oliver Cowdery, David Whitmer, and Martin Harris reported angelic visitation in which they were shown gold plates, late June 1829.8 JS dictated numerous revelations in area, 1829–1831.9 LDS church officially organized in Fayette, 6 Apr. 1830.10 Many early converts baptized in area.11 JS commenced translation of Bible in township.12 Three church conferences held in township.13 First known ministerial licenses issued in township.14 JS revelation, dated 1830, instructed Saints to leave area and settle in Ohio.15 Many Saints did so, May 1831.16

Links