Jackson County, Missouri 

 

Summary

Settled at Fort Osage, 1808.1 County created, 16 Feb. 1825; organized 1826.2 Named after U.S. president Andrew Jackson.3 Featured fertile lands along Missouri River and was Santa Fe Trail departure point, which attracted immigrants to area.4 Area of county reduced considerably in 1833 by creation of Van Buren and Bates counties from southern portion.5 Population in 1830 about 2,800; in 1836 about 4,500; and in 1840 about 7,600.6 JS appointed missionaries to proselytize among American Indians west of Independence, fall 1830.7 Saints began settling in county, July 1831.8 JS revelation, dated 20 July 1831, designated area near Independence as “city of Zion” for gathering of Saints and building of temple.9 Saints were instructed to buy land from temple site to western border of county.10 Saints began settling in Independence and Kaw Township.11 Mormon population by 1832 about 850.12 Mormon population by summer 1833 about 1,000.13 As increasing numbers of Saints entered Missouri, mob violence by earlier settlers erupted, July 1833.14 Saints expelled from county into Clay and other counties, Nov. 1833.15 Efforts to seek justice through courts were unsuccessful.16 JS led Camp of Israel expedition to western Missouri in failed effort to recover Mormon lands in Jackson Co., summer 1834.17

Facts

Links