Montrose Township, Iowa Territory 

 

Summary

Located in southern part of county on western shore of Mississippi River.1 Area settled by Captain James White, 1832, following Black Hawk War.2 Federal government purchased land from White to create Fort Des Moines, 1834.3 Fort abandoned; remaining settlement unofficially named Montrose, 1837.4 Township created by dividing Ambrosia Township, 1841.5 Important port on Mississippi River.6 Following expulsion from Missouri, some Saints (including Brigham Young family) settled in township because of available shelter at abandoned fort.7 Church membership in area grew rapidly from immigration.8 Iowa Stake created, Oct. 1839, and centered at Montrose.9 Name changed to Zarahemla Stake, 1841.10 Population of stake in 1841 about 700.11 As Saints gathered to Nauvoo, population dwindled and stake was reduced to a branch, Jan. 1842.12 In Montrose Masonic ceremony, 6 Aug. 1842, JS prophesied that Saints “would become a mighty people in the Rocky Mountains.”13 On at least two occasions, JS took refuge in Montrose to avoid persecutors from Missouri and Illinois.14 He and brother Hyrum left town, 23 June 1844, to return to Nauvoo just prior to going to Carthage.15