Palmyra, New York 

 

Summary

Known as Swift’s Landing and Tolland before being renamed Palmyra, 1796.1 Incorporated, Mar. 1827, two years after completion of adjacent Erie Canal.2 Population in 1820 about 3,700.3 Joseph Sr. and Lucy Mack Smith family lived in village briefly, beginning 1817.4 First edition of Book of Mormon printed at E. B. Grandin printing office in village, 1829–1830.5