Pine country, Crawford County, Wisconsin Territory 

 

Summary

Also known as the “pinery.”1 Collective term for regions in Wisconsin where lumbering operations were located, especially along Black, Chippewa, St. Croix, Wisconsin, and Wolf rivers.2 Temple Committee and trustees of Nauvoo House Association contracted with mill at confluence of Roaring Creek and Black River to provide timber for those structures and other public buildings in Nauvoo, Sept. 1841;3 company of laborers from Nauvoo immediately sent to work at mill.4 Church leaders considered sending JS to pinery for protection from enemies, Aug. 1842.5 George Miller sold Mormon interest in mill and purchased mill complex at Black River Falls, Dec. 1842.6 Lyman Wight led company of Mormon families to settle at falls, July 1843.7 Company returned to Nauvoo, summer 1844, and mills were eventually sold.8