Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 

 

Summary

Also spelled Pittsbourg, Pittsbourgh, and Pittsburg.1 Major industrial port city in southwestern Pennsylvania.2 Near location where Monongahela and Allegheny rivers converge to form Ohio River.3 French established Fort DuQuesne, 1754.4 British captured fort, re-named it Fort Pitt, or Pittsbourgh, and settled area, 1758.5 Became part of U.S. after Revolutionary War.6 Surveyed 1784.7 Became county seat, 1788.8 Incorporated as city, 1816.9 Considered gateway to Northwest Territory.10 Population in 1810 about 4,800; in 1820 about 7,200; in 1830 about 13,000; and in 1840 about 21,000.11 Zebedee Coltrin and Jesse Gause proselytized in city, 16 Aug., 1832.12 Families of Lorenzo D. Young and Phinehas H. Young resided in Pittsburgh, Oct.–July 1833, and established branch of LDS church in area.13 John E. Page preached in city, 1842.14 Six members of Quorum of the Twelve visited city, July 1843.15