Printing office, Kirtland Township, Ohio 

 

Summary

Following destruction of church printing office in Independence, Missouri, July 1833, JS and other church leaders determined to set up new printing office in Kirtland under firm name F. G. Williams & Co.1 Oliver Cowdery purchased new printing press in New York, Oct. 1833, and Kirtland printing office was opened and dedicated in John Johnson inn, Dec. 1833.2 JS revelation gave Williams and Cowdery joint stewardship of office.3 Publication of Missouri newspaper The Evening and the Morning Star soon resumed.4 In Dec. 1834, printing office was moved to second story of newly built schoolhouse, immediately west of temple lot.5 Press later launched new periodical, Latter Day Saints’ Messenger and Advocate (Oct. 1834–Sept. 1837), followed by Elders’ Journal (Oct.–Nov. 1837).6 Also published local political paper Northern Times (Feb. 1835–ca. Feb. 1836), first LDS church hymnal, first edition of Doctrine and Covenants (1835), and second edition of Book of Mormon (1837).7 Printing office destroyed when schoolhouse was torched by arsonist, 16 Jan. 1838.8