St. Louis, Missouri 

 

Summary

Located on west side of Mississippi River about fifteen miles south of confluence with Missouri River.1 Founded as fur-trading post by French settlers, 1764.2 Incorporated as town, 1809.3 First Mississippi steamboat docked by town, 1817.4 Incorporated as fourth city in U.S., 1822.5 Population in 1820 about 4,900; in 1830 about 5,900; in 1840 about 16,000; and in 1849 about 63,000.6 Because of location on Mississippi River, St. Louis quickly became a hub of trade for continental interior.7 JS traveled through St. Louis, June 1831 and 1832.8 Place of refuge for Saints expelled from western Missouri.9 During Mormon expulsion from western Missouri, St. Louis newspapers defended LDS church and condemned Governor Lilburn W. Boggs.10 Crossroads for hundreds of Latter-day Saint emigrants traveling from England to Nauvoo.11 Official branch of church formed in city, early 1844.12 Brigham Young and others campaigned in city for JS’s candidacy for U.S. president, May 1844.13 St. Louis press strongly condemned JS’s murder, June 1844.14 Designated by Brigham Young as gathering place for refugees from Nauvoo and for arriving European converts, 1847.15 Latter Day Saint’s Emigrant’s Guide printed in city, Feb. 1848.16 Mormon population by 1849 at least 3,000.17