Store (JS’s red brick store), Nauvoo, Illinois 

 

Summary

Completed 1841.1 Opened for business, 5 Jan. 1842.2 Owned by JS, but managed mostly by others, after 1842.3 First floor housed JS’s general store and counting room, where tithing was received and recorded.4 On second floor, one of two small rooms served as JS’s private office, where he dictated revelations and translated Book of Abraham.5 Large upper room, also on second floor, used as assembly room, which served as meeting place for Masonic lodge, priesthood quorums, Nauvoo temple and Nauvoo House committees, Nauvoo Legion, and Relief Society.6 Relief Society organized in upper room, 17 Mar. 1842.7 JS introduced endowment to nine individuals in upper room, 4–5 May 1842.8 Nauvoo municipal court and mayor’s court met in upper room, sometimes referred to as court room.9 Some theatrical presentations, debates, lectures, and University of Nauvoo classes also held in upper room.10 Council of Fifty organized in upper room, 10 Mar. 1844.11 State political convention that nominated JS as candidate for U.S. president held in store, 17 May 1844.12 See also “Masonic hall” and “Office.”