Terre Haute, Indiana 

 

Summary

Situated high on east bank of Wabash River.1 French settlement, 1720–1763; name is French for “high land.”2 Founded as Fort Harrison, 1811.3 Laid out and incorporated, 1816.4 Vigo Co. seat.5 Population in 1830 about 600; in 1837 about 1,100; and in 1840 about 2,000.6 JS and Sidney Rigdon held meetings in town en route to Far West, Missouri, Nov. 1837.7 JS’s brother Don Carlos wrote him from near Terre Haute, 6 July 1838, citing ongoing difficulties of Smith family’s relocation from Kirtland, Ohio, to Caldwell Co., Missouri.8