Thompson Township, Ohio 

 

Summary

Located about twenty miles northeast of Kirtland, Ohio.1 Settled 1800.2 Surveyed 1809.3 Incorporated 1817.4 Population in 1830 about 700.5 Population in 1840 about 1,000.6 Latter-day Saints from Colesville, New York, were directed to settle in area on 759 acres of land donated by convert Leman Copley, May 1831.7 JS revelation instructed Bishop Edward Partridge to institute principle of consecration in township.8 By end of June 1831, Copley revoked his invitation for Colesville Saints to reside on his property.9 They were then directed to move to Missouri.10