Warsaw, Illinois 

 

Summary

Located at foot of Des Moines Rapids of Mississippi River at site of three military forts: Fort Johnson (1814), Cantonment Davis (1815–1818), and Fort Edwards (1816–1824).1 First settlers participated in fur trade.2 Important trade and shipping center.3 Post office established, 1833.4 Laid out, 1834.5 Incorporated as town, 1837.6 Population in 1837 about 250; in 1840 about 400; and in 1845 about 470.7 Thomas Sharp, editor of local newspaper, Warsaw Signal, helped found anti-Mormon political party.8 Due to persecution, LDS church leaders directed Saints in town to remove to Nauvoo, 13 Dec. 1841.9 Five of the nine men indicted for killing JS and Hyrum Smith were from Warsaw.10