Village located in northeastern Ohio at mouth of Chagrin River, about three miles northwest of Kirtland, Ohio, and four miles from Lake Erie. Area settled, 1797. Township formerly named Charlton, then Chagrin. Became home of Willoughby Medical College, 1834, after which both village and township were renamed Willoughby. Became part of Lake Co., Mar. 1840. Incorporated as village, 1853. Population in 1835 about 750. Population in 1840 about 1,900. Described in 1843 as having two churches, nine stores, one mill, and two tanneries, in addition to college. JS and wife Emma purchased goods in Willoughby, 12 Oct. 1835, and visited Shadrach Roundy near there, later that month. JS, accompanied by other church officers, attended lecture at Willoughby College, 2 Nov. 1835.