F. G. Williams & Co. 

Summary

A firm established by the United Firm on 11 September 1833 to print newspapers in Kirtland, Ohio.1 In December 1833, F. G. Williams & Co. resumed the interrupted printing of the church newspaper The Evening and the Morning Star.2 After the United Firm was reorganized in April 1834, Frederick G. Williams and Oliver Cowdery received F. G. Williams & Co. as their stewardship.3 In September 1834, the firm completed the printing of this publication and the following month began a newspaper called The Latter Day Saints’ Messenger and Advocate.4 Oliver Cowdery, John Whitmer, and Warren Cowdery all served as editors for the firm at various times.5 In January 1835, the firm began reprinting all issues of The Evening and the Morning Star, with numerous editorial changes, under the shortened name Evening and Morning Star.6 In 1835 and 1836, the firm published the first edition of the Doctrine and Covenants and a collection of hymns.7 By fall 1835, the firm was experiencing serious financial difficulties.8 It was dissolved in June 1836, and Oliver Cowdery purchased the printing establishment, assumed the firm’s assets and liabilities, and reorganized it as O. Cowdery & Co.9 See also “United Firm” and “Literary Firm.”