Hebrew School 

Summary

Educational program instituted by JS in Kirtland, Ohio, in January 1836 for the study of the Hebrew language.1 Class was usually held in the westernmost room in the third, or attic, story of the House of the Lord in Kirtland.2 Under the tutelage of Joshua Seixas, a Hebraist and language scholar, at least eighty students gained a basic knowledge of Hebrew in sessions that met regularly until the end of March of that year.3 Seixas apparently conducted an additional term of the Hebrew School in Kirtland in the summer of 1836.4 See also geographical listing for “Hebrew School.”