History, 1838–1856, volume A-1 [23 December 1805–30 August 1834]

History, 1838–1856, volume A-1 [23 December 1805–30 August 1834]

Addenda, Note 16 • 19–20 June 1834

<Note 16> of their men was killed by lightning, and that another had his hand torn off by his horse  drawing his hand through <between> the door, <logs of a corn crib> while he was holding him on the inside, and they  declared “that if that was the way, God fought for the God damd Mormons, they might as  well go home about their business.”
Friday 20th. This morning I counselled the brethren to discharge all their fire arms, when  it was found we had near six hundred shots, very few of which missed fire, which shows  how very careful the brethren had been in taking care of their arms during the storm—

Addenda, Note 17 • 25 June 1834

<Note 17.> he was buried by Jesse Smith, George A. Smith, and two or three others, and while burying him  Jesse Smith was attacked with the Cholera see page 506+

Addenda, Note 18 • 26–28 June 1834

<Note 18> among the most active of those who were engaged in taking care of the sick at the Camp,  burying the dead <&c> were John D. Parker, John Tanner, Nathan Tanner, Joseph <B> Nobles [Noble], Brigham  Young, Joseph Young, Heber C. Kimball, Luke Johnson and Eleazer Miller.
I sent Hiram Page with instructions to bring Jesse <J. Smith> and George A. Smith to me at all hazards  to the west part of the Country, having had intimations that they were sick— he found  that Jesse had been severely racked with the Cholera all day— George A Smith had taken  care of him for upwards of thirty hours— Dr. [Frederick G.] Williams decided that the cholera had left him  and would recover if not moved— on the morning of the 28th. George A. Smith was attacked  and was immediately mounted on a hard riding horse, rode 15 miles and came to me—

Addenda, Note 19 • 3 July 1834

<Note 19> I authorized General Lyman Wight to give a discharge to every man of the Camp, who  had proved himself faithful, certifying that fact, and giving him leave to return home.

Addenda, Note 20 • 5 May 1834

<Note 20> This night being in the town of Streetsborough 27 miles from Kirtland, we staid in Mr. Ford’s  Barn, where uncle John Smith and Brigham Young had been preaching &c three months before.  This day brothers Brigham Young and Joseph Young went to Israel Barlow’s, about three  quarters of a mile, and tarried over night, brother Barlow returned with them in the  morning and joined the Camp; here let it be remarked that brother Brigham Young  took <had taken> the families of Solomon Angel[l], and Lorenzo Booth, into his house, that they might  accompany us to Missouri. see page 477#

Addenda, Note 21 • 6–7 June 1834

<Note 21> On the <and at> night of the 6th we encamped in a yard in Maple Grove, near the creek.  the men who had previously followed us, passed us several times during the day, and  were in search for <of> us this evening— the guards heard them say “they have turned  in one <a>side, dam ’em we cannot find ’em”— Elder<s> <Seth Johnson & A[lmon] W.> Babbitt who had  been sent to Bowling Green Branch to gather recruits, returned to the Camp on  the morning of the 7th. with a <small> company of Fifteen— two waggons, and several  spare horses. see page 488# [p. 16 [addenda]]
JS, History, 1838–1856, vol. A-1, created 11 June 1839–24 Aug. 1843; handwriting of James Mulholland, Robert B. Thompson, William W. Phelps, and Willard Richards; 553 pages, plus 16 pages of addenda; CHL. This is the first volume of a six-volume manuscript history of the church. This first volume covers the period from 23 December 1805 to 30 August 1834; the remaining five volumes, labeled B-1 through F-1, continue through 8 August 1844.