31371

Minute Book 1

Brother O. Hyde moved for a decision relative to the  first question (viz.), What is to be done to arrest the evil?  The moderator then proceeded after a few remarks to give  a decision according, to a motion previously made, (viz.) that  an article be published in the Evening & the morning Star, by  the direction of the council, that the church in Kirtland has  investigated the conduct of brother Joseph Smith Junr. while  journeying to the West and returning, and that we find  that he has acted in every respect in the an honorable and  proper Manner, with all monies and other properties  intrusted to his charge. After which a vote was  taken and carried. A motion was then made by  brother O. Hyde and seconded by brother S. Rigdon,  that a committee of three, be appointed to write the  article for the Star agreeably to the decision.
Brethren, The Clerk, Thomas Burdick and Orson Hyde  were nominated and appointed by unanimous vote.
Brother Sylvester, then made said that he was willing  to publish a confession in the Star. A motion was  then made by brother J. P. Green, and seconded by the  moderator, that the above named committe be ap pointed to write letters in the name of the council to bro—  Z[erubbabel] Snow, C. Snelling & J.P. Parker.
Prayer by brother S. Rigdon.
Clerk of Council)

23 August 1834 • Saturday

On the 23d of August 1834 a council convened for the  purpose of hearing the resolution designed for the Star  which were to be drawn up by brethren O[liver] Cowdery, T[homas] Burdick  and O[rson] Hyde on the subject of the difficulty existing between  brother J. Smith Junr. and Sylvester Smith. Brother R[eynolds] Cahoon  presided in consequence of the ill health of brother N[ewel] K. Whitney  After prayer the conference proceeded to business. The clerk read [p. 54]
PreviousNext
Minute Book 1, [ca. 3 Dec. 1832–30 Nov. 1837]; handwriting of Warren A. Cowdery, Frederick G. Williams, Orson Hyde, Marcellus F. Cowdery, George W. Robinson, Phineas Richards, and Harlow Redfield; 263 pages; CHL. Includes dockets, redactions, copy notes, use marks, and archival stamping and marking.
Medium-size blank book. The paper, which is ruled with thirty-four blue-green horizontal lines (now faded), measures 12 × 7½ inches (30 × 19 cm). The book originally contained 149 leaves, consisting of twelve gatherings of twelve leaves each, two front flyleaves, and three back flyleaves. The text block is sewn all along over recessed cords. The front and back covers of the volume are pasteboard. The book has a tight-back case binding with a brown calfskin quarter-leather binding, the bound volume measuring 12⅜ × 7¾ × 1 inches (31 × 20 × 3 cm). The outside covers are adorned with shell marbled paper, with a red, green, and black body and veins of black. The back pastedown bears the inscriptions “c”, “c/i”, and “pep”—possibly original merchandising notes.
A single leaf—the conjugate of the leaf bearing pages 15 and 16—was removed from the first gathering of the book, but this occurred before the adjacent leaves were inscribed or paginated. Page 1 is the first lined page. Minutes were inscribed in the book on pages 1–219 and 226–265. Pages 220–225 were left blank, except for their page numbers. Following page 265, the remaining twenty-one pages and the three back flyleaves were left blank. At some point, Frederick G. Williams began a table of contents, which was continued by Warren A. Cowdery but never completed; this table of contents is inscribed on all four pages of the two front flyleaves. The minute book was kept with quill pens. The entries and pagination were inscribed in ink that is now brown. Pages 39–55 include entry-dividing lines inscribed in red ink. There is also residue from an adhesive wafer on pages 156 and 157, indicating a sheet of paper was attached there at one time.
At some point, probably in the early 1840s, the front cover of the volume was labeled “Conference | A” in black ink. The “A” is written in a formal style that matches the covers of other early manuscript books in the CHL’s holdings. Copy notes and use marks, in¬scribed in graphite, were made by later scribes who used the minute book when compiling JS’s 1838–1856 history. At some point, probably in Utah, a white paper label was pasted on the spine; the label is now only partially extant, with the remaining inscription illegible. Another white paper label, also only partially extant, was pasted over this. It reads: “Kirtland Coun”. The rest of the label, which would have included approximately two more words, is missing. The pastedown on the inside of the book’s front cover bears an archival identification number inscribed in black ink and a more recent Historian’s Office library sticker. The spine also bears a more recent sticker with an identification number. Ink has bled through on several of the pages. The book has also suffered some wear and staining in the front and back.
The volume is listed in the 1846 Historian’s Office inventory as “Book of Conference A” and referred to as a Kirtland High Council record in subsequent Historian’s Office inventories from the 1850s. In 1988, the Church History Department transferred Minute Book 1 to the First Presidency’s Office. The minute book was transferred to the Church History Library in 2009. Archival records and the markings mentioned above indicate continuous institutional custody.

Facts