31593

Minute Book 2

3 July 1834 • Thursday

Ebenezer Robinson handwriting ends; Levi Richards begins.  

 
Clay County July 3. 1834.
The High Priests of Zion assembled for the purpose of organizing a general  Council of High Priests, agreeable to the revelation for the  purpose of settling important business that might  come before them which could not be settled by the  Bishop and his council.
Proceeded to make choice of the President. It  was agreed that David Whitmer should be first  President and to be assisted by William W. Phelps   and John Whitmer,— and the following High Priests  as Councellors,
Christian Whitmer.Thomas B. Marsh.
Newel Knight. Simeon Carter.
Lyman Wight. Parley [P.] Pratt.
Calvin Bebee [Beebe]. Orson Pratt.
William E. Mc lellen.John Murdock.
Solomon Hancock.Levi Jackman.
After which the meeting adjourned to meet  on monday the 8th inst.

7 July 1834 • Monday

Clay County July 7th 1834.
Agreeable to adjournment the council of  High Priests assembled at the house of Lyman  Wight— and opened the meeting by singing,— age  after age has rowled away, &c. and prayer by  Joseph Smith jun., Present fifteen High Priests,—  eight Elders, four Priests, eight teachers, three  Deacons,— together with A number of Members
After which br. Joseph Smith jun proceeded to  give the Council such instruction (relative to  their high calling) as would enable them to proceed  and minister in their office— agreeable to the  pattern given heretofore;— also read to them the [p. 43]
PreviousNext
Zion (Missouri) High Council and Nauvoo Stake High Council, “The Conference Minutes, and Record Book, of Christ’s Church of Latter Day Saints,” Minute Book 2, 6 Apr. 1838–[ca. June 1838], [ca. Oct. 1842], [ca. June 1844]; handwriting of Ebenezer Robinson, Hosea Stout, Levi Richards, Joseph M. Cole, and an unidentified scribe; 178 pages, as well as indexing in tabbed pages at beginning of book; CHL. Includes tables, redactions, use marks, and archival marking.
The second of two texts inscribed in a ledger book. The paper, which is ruled both horizontally and vertically, measures 12½ × 7¾ inches (32 × 20 cm). The book contains 276 leaves, including the flyleaves in the front and back of the book. The bound book, which features a brown suede leather cov-er, measures 13 × 8½ × 1¾ inches (33 × 22 × 4 cm). The spine has a pasted red label with “LEDGER” in gold lettering. Following the four front flyleaves, the first twenty-four pages are tabbed index pages. The next seventy-three pages were used by Warren Parrish for various financial accounts he kept prior to his move to Kirtland, Ohio. Following a blank page, Minute Book 2 fills the next 187 pages, although there are some blank pages within and at the end of this record. The portion of the ledger in which Minute Book 2 is inscribed has its own pagination, all apparently done by Hosea Stout. Ebenezer Robinson’s handwriting appears on the title page (the recto of the leaf preceding page 1) and on pages 1–37, 41–42, 44–52, and 55–93. Pages 38–40 are blank. Levi Richards’s handwriting appears on pages 43 and 52–55. There is also unidentified handwriting in the middle of page 87. The inscription ends with minutes of the Nauvoo, Illinois, stake high council meetings held 1 and 15 June 1844, recorded by Joseph M. Cole on pages 178–185. The minutes were recorded with a quill pen, and all are in brown ink, except for some blue ink on pages 179–181. The remaining 251 pages of the book are blank. There were originally four back flyleaves; only two remain, and they are blank.
Minute Book 2 includes several redactions made in graphite, as well as some marking in blue pencil. The leather cover was decorated with blind tooling at some point, and a paper sticker was pasted on the spine with “CONFERENCE MINUTES AND HIGH COUNCIL RECORDS OF FAR WEST” inscribed in unidentified handwriting. This sticker resembles several other such stickers found on early church record books.
The volume may have been included in the Nauvoo exodus inventory as part of “Records of High Council.” It is listed in middle- and late-nineteenth-century inventories of the Historian’s Office in Salt Lake City. The Historian’s Office apparently made a microfilm copy of the volume in 1954. Church historian Joseph Fielding Smith took the volume with him to the Office of the First Presidency when he became church president in 1970 and kept it in his safe. The book was returned to the Church History Department in 2008. These archival records and archival marking on the book indicate continuous institutional custody.

Facts