Ca. 1805–19 Apr. 1876. Lawyer. Born in Massachusetts. Treasurer of Jackson Co., Missouri, 1827. Deputy clerk of Jackson Co. court, 1833. Permitted to practice law by Cass Co., Missouri, circuit court, 7 Dec. 1835. One of fourteen men who formed a company to purchase townsite of what became Town of Kansas (later in Kansas City), Jackson Co., 1838. Moved to Blue Township, Jackson Co., by 1850. Judge of Sixth Judicial Circuit Court, 1856–1859. Partner in law firm of Philips, Hicks & Vest, 1866–1869, in Sedalia, Pettis Co., Missouri. Moved to City of Kansas (later in Kansas City), Jackson Co., by 1870. Partner in law firm with Samuel P. Sparks, beginning 1875. Died in Warrensburg, Johnson Co., Missouri.