Cleveland, Ohio 

 

Summary

Cuyahoga Co. seat of justice, 1833.1 Situated on south shore of Lake Erie, just east of mouth of Cuyahoga River.2 First settled, 1797.3 Incorporated as village, 1815; incorporated as city, 1836.4 Became center of business and trade at opening of Ohio and Erie Canal, 1827.5 Population in 1830 about 1,100.6 Population in 1840 about 6,000.7 JS and other Saints residing in Kirtland area often visited Cleveland for commercial purposes or traveled through city en route to other locations.8