31593

Minute Book 2

important items. President Rigdon continued the  subject for a length of time, after which, on motion,  the meeting adjourned for the space of twenty minutes.
Pursuant to adjournment the Conference convened,  and opened by Prayer by D. W. Patten, who also made  a few remarks respecting the twelve apostles.
He spake some what doubtful of William Smith from  something which he had heard respecting his faith in  the work. He also spake of William E. McLellin, Luke  Johnson, Lyman Johnson, and John F. Boynton as  being men whom he could not recommend to the  Conference.
President John Murdock, then represented  the high council. The report was favorable. He stated  that the seats of Elisha H. Groves, Calvin Beebee [Beebe],  and Lyman Wight was vacant in consequence of their  having moved away so far that they could not attend  the Council
Thomas B. Marsh then nominated Jared Carter  to fill the seat of Elisha H. Groves which was  recieved unanimously.
He then nominated John P. Green[e], to fill the  seat of Calvin Beebee, who was recieved unanimously.
Also George W. Harris, to fill that of Lyman  Wight, who was recieved unanimously—
The Presidency then ordained him to the office  of High Priest.
On motion Conference adjourned to the  8th at 9 o’clock AM.
Sunday April 8th— Pursuant to adjourn ment the conference convened and opened by  singing & prayer by President B[righam] Young. [p. 116]
PreviousNext
Zion (Missouri) High Council and Nauvoo Stake High Council, “The Conference Minutes, and Record Book, of Christ’s Church of Latter Day Saints,” Minute Book 2, 6 Apr. 1838–[ca. June 1838], [ca. Oct. 1842], [ca. June 1844]; handwriting of Ebenezer Robinson, Hosea Stout, Levi Richards, Joseph M. Cole, and an unidentified scribe; 178 pages, as well as indexing in tabbed pages at beginning of book; CHL. Includes tables, redactions, use marks, and archival marking.
The second of two texts inscribed in a ledger book. The paper, which is ruled both horizontally and vertically, measures 12½ × 7¾ inches (32 × 20 cm). The book contains 276 leaves, including the flyleaves in the front and back of the book. The bound book, which features a brown suede leather cov-er, measures 13 × 8½ × 1¾ inches (33 × 22 × 4 cm). The spine has a pasted red label with “LEDGER” in gold lettering. Following the four front flyleaves, the first twenty-four pages are tabbed index pages. The next seventy-three pages were used by Warren Parrish for various financial accounts he kept prior to his move to Kirtland, Ohio. Following a blank page, Minute Book 2 fills the next 187 pages, although there are some blank pages within and at the end of this record. The portion of the ledger in which Minute Book 2 is inscribed has its own pagination, all apparently done by Hosea Stout. Ebenezer Robinson’s handwriting appears on the title page (the recto of the leaf preceding page 1) and on pages 1–37, 41–42, 44–52, and 55–93. Pages 38–40 are blank. Levi Richards’s handwriting appears on pages 43 and 52–55. There is also unidentified handwriting in the middle of page 87. The inscription ends with minutes of the Nauvoo, Illinois, stake high council meetings held 1 and 15 June 1844, recorded by Joseph M. Cole on pages 178–185. The minutes were recorded with a quill pen, and all are in brown ink, except for some blue ink on pages 179–181. The remaining 251 pages of the book are blank. There were originally four back flyleaves; only two remain, and they are blank.
Minute Book 2 includes several redactions made in graphite, as well as some marking in blue pencil. The leather cover was decorated with blind tooling at some point, and a paper sticker was pasted on the spine with “CONFERENCE MINUTES AND HIGH COUNCIL RECORDS OF FAR WEST” inscribed in unidentified handwriting. This sticker resembles several other such stickers found on early church record books.
The volume may have been included in the Nauvoo exodus inventory as part of “Records of High Council.” It is listed in middle- and late-nineteenth-century inventories of the Historian’s Office in Salt Lake City. The Historian’s Office apparently made a microfilm copy of the volume in 1954. Church historian Joseph Fielding Smith took the volume with him to the Office of the First Presidency when he became church president in 1970 and kept it in his safe. The book was returned to the Church History Department in 2008. These archival records and archival marking on the book indicate continuous institutional custody.

Facts