31593

Minute Book 2

10 November 1837 • Friday

Far West. Tuesday, Nov. 10. 1837.
At a general meeting of the ordained members of the  Church of Latter Day Saints in this place, Elder Thomas  B. Marsh opened the meeting by prayer, and Pres’t. S[idney] Rigdon  read the memorial of the Bishop of Kirtland, and his coun sellors, to the churches abroad of Sept. 18th. 1837. He then  laid before the meeting the subject of laying off Cities,  of consecrating for public purposes, and for remunerating those  who appoint and lay them off, &c. When it was unanim ously voted that all city plotts, hereafter laid off, after remuner ating those for their labors who may be engaged in appointing and  laying off the same, shall be consecrated for the public benefit  of the church— for building houses for public worship, or  such other purposes as the church shall say.
President Rigdon then read the prospectus of the “Elders’  Journal,”— which was unanimously received. It was then  also unanimously voted that the persons present use their  exertions to support said paper.
It was then voted that the town of Far West  be enlarged so that it contain four sections— that is,  two miles square.
Voted, that Bishop Edward Partridge and his counsel lors be appointed a committee to appraise the land adjacent to  the present Town Plott, see that it is enlarged according to the  above vote, provided the present holders of the lands will take  such a price for the same, as the above appraisers shall think  worth, and that the same be then disposed of as is voted above.
A call was then made for those whose circumstances were  such as to permit, to go out to preach, to present themselves.  These were twenty-three who arose.
Sylvester H. Earl, Henry Jackson, Harrison Sagers and  John W. Clark, were ordained Elders, and William J. Lemans  was ordained a Priest.
President Rigdon then closed the meeting by prayer.
Oliver Cowdery Clerk—. [p. 86]
PreviousNext
Zion (Missouri) High Council and Nauvoo Stake High Council, “The Conference Minutes, and Record Book, of Christ’s Church of Latter Day Saints,” Minute Book 2, 6 Apr. 1838–[ca. June 1838], [ca. Oct. 1842], [ca. June 1844]; handwriting of Ebenezer Robinson, Hosea Stout, Levi Richards, Joseph M. Cole, and an unidentified scribe; 178 pages, as well as indexing in tabbed pages at beginning of book; CHL. Includes tables, redactions, use marks, and archival marking.
The second of two texts inscribed in a ledger book. The paper, which is ruled both horizontally and vertically, measures 12½ × 7¾ inches (32 × 20 cm). The book contains 276 leaves, including the flyleaves in the front and back of the book. The bound book, which features a brown suede leather cov-er, measures 13 × 8½ × 1¾ inches (33 × 22 × 4 cm). The spine has a pasted red label with “LEDGER” in gold lettering. Following the four front flyleaves, the first twenty-four pages are tabbed index pages. The next seventy-three pages were used by Warren Parrish for various financial accounts he kept prior to his move to Kirtland, Ohio. Following a blank page, Minute Book 2 fills the next 187 pages, although there are some blank pages within and at the end of this record. The portion of the ledger in which Minute Book 2 is inscribed has its own pagination, all apparently done by Hosea Stout. Ebenezer Robinson’s handwriting appears on the title page (the recto of the leaf preceding page 1) and on pages 1–37, 41–42, 44–52, and 55–93. Pages 38–40 are blank. Levi Richards’s handwriting appears on pages 43 and 52–55. There is also unidentified handwriting in the middle of page 87. The inscription ends with minutes of the Nauvoo, Illinois, stake high council meetings held 1 and 15 June 1844, recorded by Joseph M. Cole on pages 178–185. The minutes were recorded with a quill pen, and all are in brown ink, except for some blue ink on pages 179–181. The remaining 251 pages of the book are blank. There were originally four back flyleaves; only two remain, and they are blank.
Minute Book 2 includes several redactions made in graphite, as well as some marking in blue pencil. The leather cover was decorated with blind tooling at some point, and a paper sticker was pasted on the spine with “CONFERENCE MINUTES AND HIGH COUNCIL RECORDS OF FAR WEST” inscribed in unidentified handwriting. This sticker resembles several other such stickers found on early church record books.
The volume may have been included in the Nauvoo exodus inventory as part of “Records of High Council.” It is listed in middle- and late-nineteenth-century inventories of the Historian’s Office in Salt Lake City. The Historian’s Office apparently made a microfilm copy of the volume in 1954. Church historian Joseph Fielding Smith took the volume with him to the Office of the First Presidency when he became church president in 1970 and kept it in his safe. The book was returned to the Church History Department in 2008. These archival records and archival marking on the book indicate continuous institutional custody.

Facts